Thursday, January 17, 2008

How do I know it's real?


"Dad, how do I know that what the Bible says is real?"

What if that was your son or daughter asking you that question?  What would your answer be?

My mind drifts back to the early 70's and the Christian college chorales.  You know the ones with the guys in powder puff blue leisure suits and the girls in dresses that went from the top of their neck to the floor and to the end of their wrists with something frilly or doily looking material around the neck.  They would stand in pairs, boy and girl, (that was cutting edge) and share a mic.   (Which, by the way, was a copy of the culture at the time because Lawrence Welk show was huge and that is how they sang on his show.  Ever thought about that one?  The church was copying the world yet no one was freaking out about that.  You can still catch Lawrence on PBS if you are going through Lawrence withdrawals.  I do it for the entertainment factor and Misha thinks I'm nuts.)
I think of the Christian chorale because they sang, "God said it and I believe it and that's good enough for me."

Now that might be an OK answer for you but what if you had a young inquisitive mind and you were searching for what to really believe in.  What is truth?  Is Christianity true?  

Now I grew up with getting the answer of "It's the Bible, you have to believe it."  Now that was fine with me because to be honest I didn't question much growing up.  The result of that was the discovery, during my adult years, that I couldn't tell you why I believe what I believed.  That's not good.  Real people want real answers, not "Sunday School" answers. 

Parents, if we are to disciple our children, we have to give them real answers.  If we don't they will get to school and some friend with doubts and questions will influence our children rather than our children influencing them.  If we don't some professor in college that is struggling with his own bitterness and doubt will crush our children's belief system.

At Contagious, NHC's youth gathering, we are taking the next several weeks looking at some core truths our kids must know to have an unshakable faith.  Mom's and Dad's of Contagious students I want to help you disciple your teen.  This means if you don't already you need to schedule some time with your son or daughter and ask questions, get them to ask questions.
My friend, (this is where I name drop) Alex McFarland, wrote a book entitled, Stand.  In this book Alex gives some core truths to Christianity that we, our children included, must know so our faith will be unshakable.   Last night we looked at Core #1 - Inspiration.
The Bible is the inspired (God-breathed) word of God.  

The Christian faith is only as certain as the Bible is trustworthy.  If the Bible isn't true, then people who call themselves Christians would have no truth to stand on -- their faith would be worthless.
The Bible was written by God through men.  (2 Peter 1:20-21; 2 Timothy 3:16)

Evidence for inspiration:
Evidence #1 - It has been preserved and is indestructible.  For centuries different people have tried to destroy, get rid of, the Bible and have failed.
Part of this evidence is the manuscript evidence.  We talked about how Scribes were literally letterd counters.  They would copy the manuscript and then count each letter and if there was a discrepancy they would scrap it and start over.

Additionally, scholars say that even if none of the 5,500 ancient New Testament manuscripts existed, the whole text of the 27 books could be recovered.  How is that?  The entire new Testament -- Matthew through Revelation -- could be known from quotations of verses found in the writings and letters of early Christians.

So as Christian parents I hope we take the responsibility to teach these core truths to our children, it is our responsibility.  What answers will you give your child?

Next week I will post more evidences for core truth #1 -Inspiration.
Another great resource is The Case For Faith, by Lee Strobel.
Mark this date off on your calendar, April 4-5.  Alex McFarland will be here at NHC leading an apologetics conference.
Now I have to go check Nate's blog.

3 comments:

Leslie said...

When I decided to go back to school I was so excited. I couldn't wait to learn and be able to provide a better future for my son. Still in those weeks before I started my first semester in college a feeling came over me. I needed to pray and ask God to shelter me from anyone who might seek to change my mind and heart about my beliefs. So I prayed and prayed. God proved to be "all knowing" because sure enough I had an unbelieving professor. He would constantly question God and would urge us to do so as well. I watched as so many of my classmates aimed to please and quickly agreed with him. This last semester he had us each read individual stories and give a presentation. The stories were all about God not being real and provided evidence to prove that claim. As I prepared for my presentation I prayed for God to shine out through me to my peers and my professor. I held firm on my beliefs and felt His peace fill me. I still pray my professors heart can be changed but pray even more that his students will not be swayed by his lies. One funny note: I'm the only one in the class that got an A, wonder why that is?
Leslie

Bonnie said...

Hey, I sang in a chorale and wore one of those dresses! In fact, I specificially remember singing that song! Boy, does that put me as a Lawrence Welk poser?

Andy Lawrenson said...

Yes, Bonnie. You emulate the Lawrence Welk Show. Doesn't that make you feel good?

I used to watch it when I was staying with Mee Ma. She would bribe me into watching that show with a bowl of vanilla ice cream, chocolate chip cookies, and some ginger ale.

Those were the days!

New Site is up and Running

My new web site which now hosts my blog posts is up and fully functional. You can check it out at andylawrenson.com . There is also a ...