Tuesday, January 15, 2008

shifted focus


When I was deer hunting I used a high powered rifle with a scope.  The purpose of the scope was to zero in on my target, the deer.  (Its been a long time since I have deer hunted and as a matter of fact I have lost all desire to hunt.  And all the Bambi lovers shouted, "Hallelujah!)  I would look through the scope and place the cross hairs on the deer, that was my focus, I focused the scope on nothing else.

One day while deer hunting I was standing on the ground by a tree deciding which tree stand to use I heard something moving through the tall grass coming straight at me.  I looked up and saw a badger coming at me, and he was a big 'un. The badger was even growling at me.  Now if you nothing of badgers they are some seriously mean animals with sharp teeth and sharp claws.  They will tear you up in a heart beat. Speaking of heart beat that is exactly what my heart started to do, beat, pound.  I was scared.  

It dawned on me at that very moment I didn't need to be scared, in my hands I held a 270 rifle. I knew this would blow my chances on getting a dear but it was either me or the badger.  So I raised my rifle, chambered a bullet.  I looked through the scope and took aim at the badger, lining up the cross hairs on the growling little beast.  Click went the safety, squeeze went the trigger, boom went the rifle, drop went the badger.

That day my scope, which was for focusing on deer, changed it's focus to badger.  Why?  The badger at the moment required my attention.

This blog of mine started last June with the target aimed at those that had anything to do with youth ministry, parents, youth workers.  That was the focus that is where I had placed the cross hairs.  Last week the focus changed because something else (some very special people) required my attention.

So for my blog followers that read my blog before last Tuesday unfolded, all 4 of you, (Thanks C.J.)  I'm letting you know that while my focus is still on Tricia, baby Rose and Nate.  I'm going to try to have another scope targeted back at youth ministry and discipling teens.
Now excuse me while I go to www.cfhusband.blogspot.com and check on the latest.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Now excuse me while I go to www.cfhusband.blogspot.com and check on the latest." Lol....this is my life lately. I too have joined this club! If I have not checked in the past 2-3 hours I better go find out what is happening. But were it not for them...would I be praying in the grocery store? Sadly, probably not! :) A friend of ours has a youth focused blog too...check him out. http://tjnicm.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Oops, I was going to say...at least you have an excuse, being related and all! I just feel like a paparazzi! :)

Andy Lawrenson said...

I just thought that with ADD I should be able to focus on both at the same time :) of course using focus very loosely

Leslie said...

Hallelujah! from a Bambi lover. Although I think there is nothing wrong with hunting if you eat it or share with others that may have any other means. I just don't like the whole "sport" aspect of it. Anyways, back to Nate's blog.:-)

Leslie said...

Oops! I meant "others that may not have any other means" :)

Andy Lawrenson said...

I always ate what I killed. Nothing better than some Bambi chili or spaghetti or sloppy joes, or roast.....

Bonnie said...

What a great looking bunch of iceskaters you have there....Whose that old lady in the back?

Andy Lawrenson said...

Dorothy Hamill?

Laurie in Ca. said...

This is such a great perspective of what is going on here. Are you sure you have ADD? Maybe you are gifted in math and don't know it. I must admit that I am wearing out my mouse checking in every 15 minutes. I am a true miracle addict at this point. What a blessing your entire family is and if there is any dysfunction as most have a tiny bit, it sure doesn't show:) Your family blesses my heart so much and it sure has kicked up my prayer life and faith big time.
Blessings and Prayers,

Laurie in Ca.

CJolly said...

Still here! Nice pic. Now back to the ongoing news story that has taken over the regularly scheduled programming....
PS great writing this last week! Very well focused for ADD

New Site is up and Running

My new web site which now hosts my blog posts is up and fully functional. You can check it out at andylawrenson.com . There is also a ...