Sunday, January 13, 2008

My worship will be more focused

Great Grandma touching a miracle.


I remember going to see Mee Ma and Nanna, my grandmother and great-grandmother.  I always looked forward to that trip up to the mountains outside of Front Royal, Va.  I enjoyed getting to see my Mee Ma and Nanna as most kids enjoy getting to visit their grandparents, they spoil you a little and show you attention, not to mention the occasional financial gift.  After being at their house for a little while I would start hunting around for things to do.  Nanna's magnifying glass would often give me hours of fun.  Funny, on our trip this past Thanksgiving, Ty discovered fun with his great grandma's magnifying glass.

When I was a kid one of my favorite things to do was to play with a magnifying glass.  I liked to walk around looking at different objects with a bigger perspective.  I also liked taking the magnifying glass and focusing the sun's heat and burn things with it, don't worry I'm not a pyro, but like most kids I liked to burn a leaf or the occasional ant (sorry, didn't seem cruel when I was 7).  Medical experts refer to this as "the Sherlock phase", not really, I just made that up.  (for some you will get this in a few minutes)

Today I will enter Nags Head Church.  I'm there a lot since I work there during the week.  Today will be different.  It's Sunday, a day to gather with other believers for corporate worship.  Corporate worship should be the normal outflow of our personal worship during the week.  The way we worship God personally during the week affects the way we worship God on Sunday at church.  

 The events in the lives of Nate, Tricia and baby Rose will be my magnifying glass for worship today.  I will reflect on how big God really is, how this week He has been magnified.   God has been magnified to the world, shown how big He his.  My perspective of God is different through the magnifying glass of this event.  Magnified in the lives of the Lawrensons and Kirschners as we have seen God's miracles, touched God's miracle.  Today's worship will be focused, like the focusing of the sun's light with a magnifying glass, only I will be focusing on the Son.  It is easy in worship to allow our focus to move from where it should be.  Focus on the band, focus on what the singer is wearing, focus on that crying toddler in the back of the room who should be in the nursery, focus on the person behind me clicking their pen, focus everywhere but not focused on God .  

Will your worship magnify God today?  Has your perspective of God changed?  Will your worship be more focused today at church and in your times of personal worship this week?




8 comments:

CFHusband said...

good post...this is what I've been praying for this week for our NHC family. I linked this post on my worship blog.

Laurie in Ca. said...

Beautiful words and truths for a beautiful sunny morning out here in California. My God has been magnified in my heart through the events in your family this past week. Reading about the miracle of Tricia and Gwenyth is like looking directly into the heart of God, not needing a magnifying glass. I just love how He loves us, and cares for us, and like a true Father, is bringing His family together all over the world, to here.
This is reality, all other attempts fail so miserably when measured to this miracle unfolding. I am so amazed and honored to have Him as my savior. He has brought me through so much and I know He will bring Tricia and Gwenyth through too. Thank you for such soul searching words today. It really is so simple and good to know that Jesus loves us unconditionally. Have a wonderfully blessed day of rest in Him.

Love, Laurie in Ca.

Anonymous said...

Have you considered writing your own devotional?

Andy Lawrenson said...

It would take me forever to write a devotional. :)

00 said...

Amazing post. I 2nd the motion on writing a devotional. I've been following the ever enfolding saga of Nate, Tricia, and Gwyneth since her arrival a week ago. What an amazing story...it's encouraged and blessed me so much.

Anonymous said...

Sunday was a different experience for me as well. I could no longer just sing the songs, so many of the words now have different meaning. Like He gave life. I still tear up when I say it. All the songs, ones we sing quite often, seem to be speaking to me in one way or another. The same thing happened Sun. night. My dear friend, Kelly, had to give me a tissue, I couldn't stop. I wanted to sing, say the words, I was just speechless, songless (some might say a blessing since I cannot sing). I am amazed everyday at how this has impacted my life. I don't watch much tv, just reading all this. Like Bible
study, worshipping, to me. It makes me realize what I've dealt with in life is so small compared to my dear nephew, Nathan.

warbird2010 said...

Great words, well spoken. A plain and simple truth that alot of us needed to hear.

Jim

sweetnika said...

Next time I am in Nags Head, I hope we might come and join with you in worship of our GREAT ABBA Father.
great post!

New Site is up and Running

My new web site which now hosts my blog posts is up and fully functional. You can check it out at andylawrenson.com . There is also a ...