Saturday, February 9, 2008

Brussel Sprouts, Facebook, and auto flush toilets


Brussel Sprouts were first grown in ancient Rome.  Thank the Roman empire for these little mini-cabbages.  They are, by the way, from the same family as cabbages, actually they started out as a wild growing plant.  Brussel sprouts as we know them today were grown as early as 1200s's in what is now Belgium.  During the 16th century the popularity of these little green morsels of goodness started to spread.  Brussel sprouts are packed with vitamins, folic acid and have been considered a preventative to colon cancer because of the sinigrin they contain.

There is your short little lesson on Brussel sprouts.  Now I can't ever remember eating one of those little dudes growing up.  I have later found out in life that the reason why I probably never ate them was because my dad didn't like them.  To be honest I probably would not have eaten brussel sprouts as a child due to my immature taste buds.

Last night at supper I steamed some brussel sprouts and then covered them in a healthy cheese sauce.  They were quite tasty (I also like them covered in olive oil, salt, pepper, and broiled in the oven).  Ty didn't go for them.  Funny that after the meal I was reading my What matters to Moms, Parenting magazine, they suggested not feeding a three year old brussel sprouts because their taste buds are so sensitive and brussel sprouts are very strong in flavor.

I felt great about eating the healthy sprouts our family then went out and celebrated with the buy one get one free blizzard at the DQ.

I'm not trying to brag but I was nominated for the "funniest person on Facebook" contest.  Now again I'm not bragging, it's just that I never get nominated for anything.  What makes this nomination even better is that I was nominated by Mark Lowry's sister (not giving her name to protect the innocent).  We grew up together as "Jerry's Kids" and went to school together. Perhaps I should add this to my bio, if I had one.

Parenting tip of the day - For those that are potty training your little pre-schoolers the auto flush toilets can be a little scary, especially since they can flush while you are still sitting upon the throne.  Carry some post it notes in your purse or pocket, cover the sensor eye with a post it note until the job is done.  This will, of course, prevent the toilet from flushing while the little girl or guy is taking care of business.  This is the pay off of reading a parenting magazine targeting moms.

Human tip of the day - You can use the same technique as described above to keep the toilet from flushing as you try to put the toilet seat protective cover on.  How irritating that can be!  I once flushed 3 down the toilet as I tried to put them on the seat.  The beauty of post it notes, the possibilities endless!  (the airport in Nyguya, Japan, has temperature controlled toilet seats that you can adjust to your liking, very nice, I know because I've been there)
 

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Um - it's BrusselS Sprouts, not Brussel Sprout. Due to the fact that it's Brussels, Belgium. ...just being picky.

Andy Lawrenson said...

Dearest Picky Reader:

According to Wikipedia:
"The Brussels (or brussels or brussel)..."

I was just using the information available to me from the online encyclopedia. Pick on Wikipedia but don't pick on this humble, brussel sprout eater.

I'm just the mailman making the delivery :) I'm not the researcher or author of the encyclopedia. ;)

Anonymous said...

OK - explanation accepted. This picky reader is older than you, therefore uses the old-fashioned dictionary on the shelf, which says "brussels" and "brussels" only. Oh, well, as we all know -- there are much more important issues in life demanding our time, attention and prayer. Thanks.

Andy Lawrenson said...

Picky -

I hope you aren't picky when it comes to eating of the Brussel Sprout.

Everyone needs their vitamin C, A, and folic acid.

Andy Lawrenson said...

how come I'm not getting any comments on the post it not toilet technique?

CJolly said...

I like Brussel(s)(whatever!)Sprouts! Especially with a good cheese sauce. Now you've gone and made me hungry, and I have to go to practice.
Oh yeah, and you're right, drummers do have the best taste in music (and food,and clothes and probably just about everything else!

islandgirlart said...

My taste buds have matured, so I can now eat the Sprouts from Brussels! I've never tried them with cheese sauce, but in my humble opinion - cheese sauce makes everything better! Hmmm ... I've never been able to get cottage cheese in my mouth - spoon refuses to go in - maybe, if I smother it with cheese sauce????....

I sure wish I had know about the post-it note tip at my last place of employment! It would have made taking care of business less frustrating! The auto flush toilet would 'flush without ceasing' when I was annointing it - ok enough of this - too much like 2nd grade bathroom humor!
By the way, speaking of 2nd grade humor - one of my delightful charges informed me that he wants to be a 'professional farter' when he grows up! So, exactly how does one prepare for this profession????
Mark my words - 2nd grade humor - gives you something to look forward to with your little guy!

Anonymous said...

I'm not too picky about eating b- sprouts, esp if someone else cooks them in her home. They really stink up the house! Also...re. Wikipedia...my 17-yr-old informs me that use of Wikipedia in school is a HUGE no-no because anyone can change the info on it. Hmmmm. (-: Stick to the dictionary:)

tay said...

As a mother that has to hear now will the toilet flush by itself every time we go into a bathroom i thank you for the hint. It is annoying when the toilet flushes before you are done.

CFHusband said...

Wikipedia is one of my top three favorite sites.

I can tell you lots of other good tips for dealing with automatic toilettes, but most of them would probably not be appropriate for mixed company.

Bonnie said...

my question is...how did you go from Brussel Sprout(s) to toilets? Had trouble following that one!

Andy Lawrenson said...

Picky -

The synapsis in the brain of anyone under 24 is not fully connected, scientifically proven. The reasons why they don't students to use Wikipedia is the copy and paste factor. Copy the info paste it into a Word document and voila you have a paper for class.

Andy Lawrenson said...

Bonnie,

It is after all The ADD Youth Pastor blog. ADD should be the give away on that one.
I'm watching Willy Wonka on TV.

My2Girls said...

Watching Willy Wonka, too! I want chocolate! Not Brussel ......(whatevers) ....

Anonymous said...

Oh. My. Goodness.

#1. Brussel Sprouts are a family favorite here with kids and adults ranging in age from 7-41. I use frozen sprouts, cut them in half, throw them into a hot skillet with just a splash of olive oil, add 2 (or so) garlic cloves freshly pressed, some sea salt, pepper and let those babies cook till they carmelize a bit and are golden brown. YUMMMMMMM. The kids love em.

#2. THANK YOU for the auto flush tip. Truly a maddening experience with toilet-phob little ones. Post it notes. Who knew?

#3. Here is some toilet-esque humor in the 3rd grade variety.
What did one burp say to the other burp? Let's be stinkers and go out the other end!!!!

Bada boom

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Anonymous...I will try your method of cooking BRUSSELS SPROUTS! [I wonder if Andy ever dreamed his blog would end up with women exchanging recipes....]

Andy Lawrenson said...

Ladies,

I do 90% of the cooking in our home. Recipe exchanges don't scare me. :) I might give the sprout recipe tonight.

Andy Lawrenson said...

Might I add that not only do recipes not scare me but neither do gas jokes. After all I am a youth pastor.

Anonymous said...

Hey Uncle Andy - Just jumped over here from Nate's blog because people had commented how funny you are however as a mom who recently subscribed to Parents magazine, I alerady knew the post-it note trick. Unfortunately I was totally unprepared for my son's comment in the middle of walmart the first time we went shopping while wearing his "big boy underwear" as he told the world "I'm wearing big boy underwear! My p-n-s is in my big boy underwear!" I just smiled and kept on shopping. Potty training is humbling and unpredictable but there is nothing quite like an accident free day to boost your spirits! God Bless!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to say I have never tried brussel sprouts. I have always been too scared of them. I know, I'm a big baby.

I did not know about the post it note tip, but as a person who is crazy about them, it is wonderful to find another use for them. I always have some in my bag. ;o)

And I know whatcha mean about the farts. I have 3 guys in my house and my 12 year old daughter is following right behind in their footsteps.

I watched Willie Wonka, too!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe I just posted about farts!

New Site is up and Running

My new web site which now hosts my blog posts is up and fully functional. You can check it out at andylawrenson.com . There is also a ...