Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Faith

Sometimes we get this idea that faith is some sort of mysterious, mystical, magical formula.  I have been amazed (there is that word again) by the faith of Tricia and Nathan over the past few months.  Scratch that, I've been blown away by their faith.  As I read thousands of comments on Nate's blog I see this word "faith" popping up.  Faith rising to the surface of most of the comments.  I'm not the only one that has been stirred by this story of faith, as a matter of fact I probably think that for those of us that know Tricia and Nathan this event has had even more of an impact on our faith.  Their story of faith is obviously impacting thousands.

Last night as I went to bed "faith" was on my mind.  Our son is only 3 and a half.  I don't know how much a 3 year old can comprehend when it comes to God and the topic of faith.  I do know that we read Bible stories to him, he goes to his 'Lil K class at church, and we pray with him a few times  day.  How much faith can a 3 year old have?  I have no idea.

As I tucked my boy into bed last night I prayed with him.  Usually, for some reason, he likes me to pray with him and then leave the room and then he wants mommy to pray with him (he is a momma's boy) so usually I don't get to hear him pray or hear his prayer request, usually he wants to pray for  his school teacher.  Last night he prayed with me and this was the content of his prayer, "Pray for baby Rose.  Amen".  
  
15 I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it." 
Mark 10
These were the words of Jesus Christ.  I think we tend to measure faith with some sort of measuring stick.  Jesus said it only take the faith of a little child.  
5 The apostles said to the Lord, "Increase our faith!" 6 He replied, "If you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mulberry tree, 'Be uprooted and planted in the sea,' and it will obey you.
Luke 17
That is not a whole lot of faith, mustard seeds are tiny.  I'm not downplaying Nate and Tricia's faith, they have amazed me.  But I wonder do you and I realize the power of our faith?  Do we realize that when we say, "I wish I had more faith" or "bigger faith", that all you and I need is a little tiny bit of faith?

May we have tiny faith today.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen.

Terry Gray Sr. said...

Good Post Andy.

Unknown said...

May I just say, amen? My tiny seeds of faith have been growing and growing in the weeks since I "met" your family. Thank you for giving it back to me, or showing it the light again, however the case my be.

New Site is up and Running

My new web site which now hosts my blog posts is up and fully functional. You can check it out at andylawrenson.com . There is also a ...