Sunday, February 10, 2008

My Mouth, My Heart

14 May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.  Psalm 19

Two important thoughts in this verse.  The Bible teaches us that our mouth and our thoughts are connected.  What's on the inside is going to come out.  The heart overflows out of the mouth.  My mouth is like a waterfall of what is going on inside of me. 

Our words are to be pleasing to God.  Think about that.  This thought is hard for my add brain to wrap around because my mouth runs all day long and as a result there are many words flowing out of me.  Are my words pleasing to God?  

As a parent are the words and the way you use them towards your child pleasing to God?  Students, are the words you use towards your parents pleasing to God?

Think of all the words that come out of your mouth everyday.  Are those words pleasing to God?  Think about it, if we truly considered this verse much of our vocabulary would change.  For many their parenting style would have to change because all they know to do is yell at their kids.  Think of the peace that would result in the home if children would take this verse into practice in their lives.

...the meditation of my heart
What consumes your thoughts throughout the day?  Do those thoughts please God?  What do you think about others, those you work with, live next door to, in your own home?  Meditation is more than just a passing thought.  Meditation is dwelling on a thought.  Someone hurts your feelings or offends you and then that is all you think about.  Then soon you have bitterness as a result of the meditation of your heart.  That bitterness will eventually flow our of your mouth.

Why not think about those things that please God?  Why not meditate on a scripture verse or on a Biblical principle that God is teaching you?  What are you meditating on right now, today?

What a finish to a chapter, "my Rock and my Redeemer".  Why not meditate on this verse a while?  Is God your Rock?  Is Christ your Redeemer?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My husband and I were just discussing this very verse after church yesterday. We've decided to give each other accountability questions every week to keep us on track. Some involve the premise of this verse, others go in other directions but after discussing this verse it seems that they all stem from what we say and think about and whether it is pleasing in God's eyes.
Is it coincidence that your blog would be about the very verse he and I discussed? Or God's little nudge of confirmation? Probably just a coincidence but it sure gave me goose bumps when I opened your blog today!

Andy Lawrenson said...

Well praise chance! I don't believe in coincidences by the way.
But you are right it is a great verse to keep in mind. I had to dwell on it a bit today myself. My natural tendency is to rip someone apart for doing something I would consider "stupid". Sooo in light of this verse I had hold back a couple of times today.
Pleasing, pleasing. . . .kept rolling through my mind.

New Site is up and Running

My new web site which now hosts my blog posts is up and fully functional. You can check it out at andylawrenson.com . There is also a ...