Friday, February 29, 2008

Leftovers Part 4


Yesterday we left our home and drove to Lynchburg, Va. to watch Chicago, my niece played the role of Roxie and did a fabulous job.  They may be the first high school to take on this play.  
It was good and all that jazz. (hardy har har.  Another sign of old age is when you think you are punny).  I was impressed with the skill level of these students.  I came away feeling a little more cultured after an evening at the theatre.

Today, The Texas Inn.  Cheesy with extra relish and a bowl with relish.  That's all I got to say about that.

What's a Cheesy?  Glad you asked.  The chef (and I use that term loosely) takes the burger that has been cooked and marinated in essence of hamburger (grease) and drops it into a small skillet which has a scrambled egg cookin in it.  The egg then envelops the burger.  It is topped with a slice of cheese and slid off onto a bun.  They top it with their secret recipe relish (which I have) and slice it in half and place it on a small dessert plate and slide it down the counter top to the waitress.  The waitress then delivers it to you and says, "here you go honey".  Keep in mind this women could jerk you across the counter and slap you silly.  It' s such a home-like atmosphere for so many.  

The Texas Inn is a landmark establishment in Lynchburg.  It has been in downtown forever.  There are about 20 stools at an L shaped counter.  That's it.  You can have an attorney on your left and a retired little grandma on your right (the T room brings people together).  No orders are written down, the waitresses shout your order and the cooks in their open "kitchen" (I use that term loosely as well).  They don't miss a beat and if per chance they do the entertainment begins.  Side note - most of the older Lynchburgers have their T room food with a carton of buttermilk.

I'm looking forward to my lunch there today.  Last time we took Ty he couldn't eat a hot dog on a bun so we ordered a hot dog, no bun.  The waitress yelled, "Weenie on a plate" and that is exactly what slid across the counter to us.  It was great.  Today Ty will tackle the weenie on a bun.

This isn't something I eat everyday (mainly because I don't live here) but is a special treat and will be a special family moment together.  Nothing like a leftover vacation day well spent.

16 comments:

CFHusband said...

if you were to bring me down a cheesy (hold the relish), you might be my favorite uncle...

And, I think you're punny...

CFHusband said...

you need to write a post about avoiding the influenza in the TRoom...I'm guessing it's impossible.

Rick Lawrenson said...

Droolin' from Duke Hospital.

I'll take a cheesy all the way. And roll the bowl through the garden.

Rick Lawrenson said...

The first time we took Sarah to Lynchburg, we stopped in at the T room first. Sarah went inside, took a look around. Then said, "Dad, order me a hot dog", and she went back out to the car.

Then to add insult to injury, when I gave her her hot dog, she looked at it and WOULDN'T eat it!!!

Fortunately, 4 years in the 'burg cured her of her TI phobia. Now she loves it, too.

Andy Lawrenson said...

Ty had two plain hots, I had two cheesies and a bowl all with double relish.
Misha had a cheesie, and a half of my second one.

For supper Julie made enchiladas and refries.

I guess that's all I need to say about this. ;)

Rick Lawrenson said...

So if there's a report of action on the Richter scale from Central VA we know where the epicenter is.

Anonymous said...

I went to school at Sweet Briar near Lynchburg and frequented the T Room a lot! It's definitely a central VA staple. I also like Magnolia's down the road a bit! :)

Bonnie said...

one word....gross!

CFHusband said...

Bonnie is so uncultured.

Anonymous said...

sounds fattening and artery clogging! hahah..but i bet it tastes UH MA ZING! lol

Andy Lawrenson said...

It was like 1,001 flavor angels were dancing on my tongue.

Anonymous said...

I cannot get past the scrambled egg part. Umm. Ewww.

Andy Lawrenson said...

It's soooooo good.
There is a similar meal done in Hawaii. It is called loco moco. It is very good as well. A bowl of rice with a fried egg on top of the rice, a burger patty on top of the egg and then gravy poured over it all. Im pretty sure it is heart smart food.

Anonymous said...

Heart attack in a bowl is more like it!

Rick Lawrenson said...

A cheesy western at the Texas Inn is probably the best sandwich in the whole world.

But the secret is the relish.

Andy Lawrenson said...

I would venture to say it is the best sandwich in the universe

New Site is up and Running

My new web site which now hosts my blog posts is up and fully functional. You can check it out at andylawrenson.com . There is also a ...