Thursday, February 7, 2008

Blown Away!

I attended the FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes) this morning at FFMS.  I was blown away by number of students in attendance.  The guest speaker shared his testimony of how God had radically changed his life.

As Dale wrapped the meeting up I counted heads, I counted 90 and thought to myself, "you messed up counting".  I counted again and came up with 89 students!  I'm not sure how many students attend FFMS but I bet that was easily 10% of the student body.

The public school is America's largest mission field.  I pray that our FCA huddles at FFMS, FFHS, and soon in Manteo, will reach their schools.  I also pray that our communities on the OBX will support FCA.  With 90 at FFMS and around 50 at FFHS the potential for something huge at these schools is incredible.  Then let's reach Hatteras and Currituck.

I'll post pictures as soon as my wonderful embarq "high" speed dsl starts working faster.  Don't know what the deal is there.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! fantastic! my 8th grade son attends & I just told him that I read your blog & you were there (by the way, must have been a powerful message b/c at dinner he talked a lot about the speaker & how his life changed, very thoughful observations about blaming God & taking responsibility for your choices) and how many students (this morning when I dropped him off thought there seemed to be a lot of other parents dropping kids off early, thought, must be a lot of clubs meeting this morning) he said, no way, if Andy was there I would have noticed him & there weren't that many, maybe 40 a lot of people had to stand. He must have been at the high school. So........I brought him out & showed him your blog about FCA FFMS. He was blown away & quite a bit proud. We talked about how he first started attending b/c a girl he liked but now goes & has brought friends b/c of the message. and yes........I found your blog after reading Nathan & Tricia's.......your family's faith & sense of humour touches & inspires more people than you can know. thank you!

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited for the FCA, I was a member when I was in high school.....lots of years ago, so it seems & to see that it has branched out & soon into Manteo is wonderful! That club can be a true eye-opening testament for those kids who may not ever get the chance to attend church or even hear the gospel if it were not for a club such as this! We'll continue to pray for FCA on the island & for the kids in the schools...they are our future!
Johanna

Bonnie said...

don't want to say I told you so, but I told you so. there I said it. High speed and that provider are oxymorons. I'm changing tomorrow...if all goes well.

Andy Lawrenson said...

Anonymous -

They meet in the the big science room. The students were sitting on the counters that outline the room and then the chairs and desks were full. Let your son know I was the one with the camera and video camera and we will be back next week to video the students that want to be in a promo video for FCA.
I hope he enjoyed the huge biscuit from Grits Grill. They brought sausag, egg and cheese biscuits for all the kids.

Rick Lawrenson said...

Patrick from Grits Grill was active in FCA at Manteo back in the day.

CFHusband said...

Patrick and I were FCA co-el presidentes together.

New Site is up and Running

My new web site which now hosts my blog posts is up and fully functional. You can check it out at andylawrenson.com . There is also a ...