Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The Call is Closing In

Here at NHC we host an annual youth conference, The Call.  This is the only purpose driven student conference on the east coast and possibly the country.  (The dude at PD didn't know of any other one)

We focus each year on one of the aspects of our purpose in life.  This year we zoom in on fellowship, connecting with the church.  Three out of four Christian students are graduating from their church and faith when they graduate from high school.  I believe there are several factors that play into this statistic:
  • No discipleship at home from Mom and Dad
  • Not learning to "self feed" from God's Word
  • Haven't developed the HABITS necessary to grow in faith
  • Don't know what they believe and why they believe it
  • Never really connected with the church
Our focus this year is on that important connection.  In many churches students are looked at as the "future church" but I believe that they are the church present.  Students can serve in ministry, students can give both financially and of their time, students can be a vibrant member of the church rather than just a "ministry group".

When I was a kid I really didn't truly appreciate my house.  I had nothing invested in my house, I moved a lot and lived in many different houses.  I don't feel connected to any one of my many childhood homes.  Why?  I had no investment in those homes.  Today I appreciate my house.  Why?  I have a lot invested into my home.

Same principle applies to teenagers.  They will have more of a connection to the church if they have an investment in the church.  Students will be more likely to stick to their faith when they graduate from high school if they are connected.  

"My teenager is in church every Sunday morning."  Sitting in church doesn't mean that there is a connection.  Many adults go to church week after week and many especially like the churches where they can just walk in sit in a spot with the rest of the crowd, get their religious duty for the week checked off their "to do" list, and the leave as soon as the service is over without having any real connection to the church.  Don't want to give, don't want to serve in ministry, don't want to get involved in a small group Bible study.  When students aren't taught about connecting, fellowship, then they become the adult I just described.

At NHC we offer opportunity to connect for students:
  • We offer a weekly youth group meeting.  A time for students to get together hang out, have some fun and learn from the Bible a lesson that is relevant to their life today.
  •  We offer weekly in-home small group Bible studies.
  • We encourage students to get involved in ministry and mission. 
  • We are striving  towards the goal of equipping and giving parents resources to disciple their teen.  This is one of our main focuses this year in our youth ministry.
This weekend 300 students and their leaders will come to NHC for a weekend of challenges.  During our main sessions Matt Orth will bring some sermons on Connecting.  Our worship in music is being led by Exodus, a student band from Liberty University.  There will be break out sessions for the leaders and pastors that attend.  We also have some break out session for the students on topics like dating, gossip, self image and priorities.

The Call is always a great time at NHC and I can't believe it will be here in just 3 days!

9 comments:

CFHusband said...

I'm bummed I'm going to miss it. Have you thought about getting a college age student to talk to the kids in hindsight about their lack of connection with their church? Just a thought.

Anonymous said...

Hi "Uncle Andy." Sorry - I have been reading your blog ever the last few days. I skipped over from Nate's blog. I hope you don't mind. ;o) I work with our church youth group in Rocky Mount, NC and have shared your blog to out youth minister. I have really enjoyed the reading. This weekend sounds absolutely wonderful. I would LOVE it if our youth group were involved in something like this. Can any group come or do you have certain groups that come every year? Can we have some information on it? What you say about our youth in church is absolutely true. I have a 22 year old son that got married last year and it is hard to see him less involved in church. Keep up the great work. And have a wonderfully blessed, enriched weekend. I know the youth, and all of you, will enjoy it.

Robin Griffin, Mother of a CF Youth

Anonymous said...

So often our church "education department" has meetings to discuss why we are losing our kids right out of high school. There never seems to be an answer and certainly not a real effort to do something about it. WOW. You hit the nail on the head with your summary. Too bad Nags Head is so far from our midwestern church. And also too bad it is limited to seating of 300. But AWESOME you are able to fill those 300 seats!
Have you thought about branching out and "selling" The Call to other regions to offer to their youth? You are really onto what many many churches struggle with today. You could certainly offer a Seminar Package to areas interested.
In our conference, there are about 25,000 youth. Certainly enough to fill an entire stadium (say, the Rosemont Convention Center near Chicago).
I checked out your link to The Call. Even the website is geared towards that age group. Kids (and many adults, especially ADD ones like you and me) are attracted to multi media. They need a "catch". Sure looks like you will not only catch many youth, but hook 'em as well. Great job! To God be the glory!

Anonymous said...

Just wondering if your wife has her own blog. Can you tell us a bit more about her? Does she stay at home or work outside the home? Is she also in ministry?

Andy Lawrenson said...

Nate,

Great thought, wish we had thought of it sooner.

Andy

Andy Lawrenson said...

nicksmom,

You can get details about The Call at our web site -
http://www.thecallobx.com .
We would love to have your church's group come next year.

Andy Lawrenson said...

My wife doesn't blog. She works part time out of the home and full time at home. She is involved in some ministries in the church but not in youth ministry. Her main ministry is taking care of me and our boy.

Anonymous said...

GREAT answer, Andy. My husband is in ministry (paid) and I am often asked if I am also in ministry. "yes, I am taking care of my husband and children which is right where God wants me to be at the moment!"

Andy Lawrenson said...

Anonymous -

Amen! Too many churches think they are getting a two for one special when they hire a married youth minister.

New Site is up and Running

My new web site which now hosts my blog posts is up and fully functional. You can check it out at andylawrenson.com . There is also a ...