Wednesday, February 13, 2008

It's a Kingdom thing

This afternoon I had my monthly Outer Banks Youth Ministry Network meeting.  I'm excited about this great group of youth leaders and hope this network continues to grow.  I think the coolest thing is we don't have a sense of territorialism.   We have, currently, 3 baptists, 3 methodists, 1 presbyterian, 1 assembly and 1 non-denominational involved.  That's cool!  Our focus isn't about doing monthly youth group activities together.  We will do about three events together per year but our main focus is a time for a devotional, prayer requests, sharing what's happening in our youth ministries.   The part I like best is when we start sharing ideas.

The purpose of NHC's youth ministry is to reach students to discover life in Christ.  I think rubbing elbows with these other youth leaders helps sharpen me as a youth pastor.   We don't sit around and talk about numbers or compare.  We are all different and have probably as many different approaches to youth ministry.  

I think networking with other youth leaders is one of the smartest moves a youth leader can make, whether that leader is a paid staff person or a volunteer leader.  I know some youth pastors have this fear of getting together with other youth pastors and leaders and I think it boils down to  territory battle.  (if you are in youth ministry check this site out)

We are currently pooling our resources to present a parenting seminar that really none of us could pull off as an individual church.  We are bringing in author, speaker and educator,Duffy Robbins, to lead the Understanding Your Teenager seminar.  Duffy is an excellent communicator and every time I've heard him share I've learned something.  Hopefully the parents of teens and pre-teens on the Outer Banks will be wise and jump on the chance to attend the seminar.  Parent ministry is a huge part of youth ministry.  If youth leaders can support the parents as they teach their children the Bible the impact in a student's life is huge.

I'm glad that the Outer Banks Youth Ministry Network is about the Kingdom and about working together to better minister to and reach students.  If you are a youth leader and you aren't networking with other youth leaders I would strongly encourage you to do it, even if it means you putting it together with other leaders.  The benefit is worth the investment.

Now get out their and impact a student's life for the Kingdom.

5 comments:

CJolly said...

OK, I'm starting yo think this ADD thing is all made up. You are putting too many good coherant thoughts together on a regular basis.

Unknown said...

you forgot the methobaptist member...

Andy Lawrenson said...

chip,

true dat. what about the baptiprsebypiscopalean?

Anonymous said...

Andy,
Don't forget to post your events on the Children and Youth Partnership website. We have a really good calendar with upcoming events for families. www.darekids.org.

Jeanna

Andy Lawrenson said...

Jeanna - Coolio!

New Site is up and Running

My new web site which now hosts my blog posts is up and fully functional. You can check it out at andylawrenson.com . There is also a ...