Thursday, August 14, 2008

The Equipping Ministry

There are some who churches rely on the pastor to do everything.  Along the way some believers have been taught, more than likely not verbally but by example, that ministry is for the pastor or paid staff to do.  So the poor pastor works himself to the bone and burns out.  I’ve heard some pastors gripe about this whole situation.  Who is at fault?

I remember, when I arrived at NHC, we weren’t here very long before Rick read the famous “resignation letter”.  He didn’t resign from the church but Rick resigned from changing light bulbs, fixing doors, from doing things that others could easily do.  What was cool was that people from the congregation stepped forward and made sure those things Rick resigned from were taken care of.  What was that?  That was ministry.

Imagine the sermon quality the church would get if the pastor had more time to prepare for sermons and didn’t have to do “all” the ministry in the church?  Pastors need to learn to let go of ministry.  Church members need to realize that all believers are ministers; you don’t have to be a “professional” to be a minister.  Got Christ?  You are a minister.  Some churches don’t grow because they aren’t prepared for the growth.  It takes every member, all hands on deck, serving in a growing church.

I sometimes find myself doing ministry that someone else in the church could be doing which ends up robbing from the ministry that I am supposed to be doing.  Not only do I rob the ministry that I’m supposed to be doing but also I rob the other members of the blessing of doing ministry.  I’m getting better at it though, I’m retraining my mind.

Pastors, church staff let the church do the ministry.  How?

Equip – That’s our job, we are to equip the church to do ministry.  Help believers learn how God has shaped them to serve.  Ephesians 4:11-13

Entrust – Give the believers in the church the ministry.  Hand it off and then trust them to get it done.  Resist the temptation to micro manage.

Enjoy – Enjoy watching the believers in your church grow closer to God as they serve Jesus Christ and the church with the gifts God has given them.  Enjoy watching the church reach her ministry potential.  (Enjoy more time to do the ministry God has called you to)

Pastors are we equipping our churches to serve and giving them the opportunity to minister?  Believers are we fulfilling our duty to Christ by ministering?  Youth pastors are you trying to do youth ministry all on your own?

1 comment:

Rick Lawrenson said...

Good stuff. You should hang on to that outline.

New Site is up and Running

My new web site which now hosts my blog posts is up and fully functional. You can check it out at andylawrenson.com . There is also a ...