Sunday, August 3, 2008

Cale Retreat is Hot!


Really, it's hot here.  This afternoon it was a scorcher but as the sun sets and the breeze picks up off the river it is starting to cool down.  What is Cale?  Glad you asked.

Cale Retreat and Conference Center is a camp that is owned and operated by our association of churches.  This week is teen week.  There are 75 campers this week.  They actually had to turn away some campers because all the beds are full.  They will be building  new conference center soon for year round use.  Steve, the camp's director, has done an incredible job turning this camp around and making something out of an old run down camp.

I'm here this week as their camp pastor.  I'll be speaking to the students 3 times a day.  That's a lot of speaking but for them that will be a lot of listening but I promised to go fast and short.  They will keep up with the ADD I think.

The theme this week is Endurance.  We know what Endurance is but how do we endure as believers?  How do we fight the good fight?  How do we finish well?

I just got to meet the campers in the orientation and layed out the week and the direction we re going in our worship times.  I'm approaching Endurance as a building: (pm messages)
1.  Foundation - Salvation
2.  Support - God's Word
3.  Interior - Life controlled by the Holy Spirit
4.  Exterior - spiritual armor

To building we are using the tools of discipline: (am messages)
1. My time with God
2.  My mission
3.  My service
4.  My possessions
5.  My Bible study

Cale is a beautiful place.  No air conditioning in the cabins but I'm sitting here on a picnic table by the river on wireless internet.  What a great place!  Here's a pic from my table spot.

8 comments:

Terry Gray Sr. said...

Cool Andy, Molly just did her week at Cale. You are right. Steve is excellent, and the camp is great. Your being there as camp pastor is bound to be an added treat. This was Molly's second year and she is talking about next year already. I have been impressed with the whole camp experience at Cale.

CFHusband said...

I estimated a few years ago that I've spent about 3 months of my life at Cale...that's a lot. Good months.

Apple said...

Prayers with you this week...and the family at home. Misha rocked the Watergate Salad tonight :)

Rick Lawrenson said...

Hey. Where's the van key?

Never mind. I broke into your desk and found 2 of them...

ladybug said...

Oh how I miss the kitchen at Cale - maybe next year -

Terry Gray Sr. said...

Rick.....bet you found a couple of snickers bars in there too!

CFHusband said...

nope...I got the snickers first.

Bonnie said...

evidently the bubble doesn't extend around the desk area!

New Site is up and Running

My new web site which now hosts my blog posts is up and fully functional. You can check it out at andylawrenson.com . There is also a ...