Saturday, August 30, 2008

Football Team Devo

This season I have the privilege of sharing a pre-game devotion with the Manteo Redskins football team before home games.  Last night was the first home game so the first crack at the devos with the guys.  I was impressed how quiet the team was during the pre-game meal, I thought they were in trouble but  it is their way at focusing on what they need to get done on the field.  The meal was great, grilled chicken, mac and cheese, green beans, bread and fruit.  ( I only mention the meal because I know that theADD readers love to comment on posts that include food).

We met under the goal post for the devotional and most of the team came over for it and the guys were very respectful and quiet (quite different from youth group).  I shared with them a little bit about me and my life so they could sort of get to know me a little.  My devotional thought for them is that everything we do in life as believers should be an act of worship.  In 
I Corinthians 10:31 we are told that everything we do in life, even the "small" things we do in life on a daily basis, should be done to the glory of God.   That's worship!  

"When you step on to the field tonight don't play for your own glory.  You are a team and this game isn't about one individual.  When you step on the field play to please your coaches and do your best but it's not for your coaches glory.  When you step onto the field play your hardest and your best to bring glory to God.  This game won't matter in 20 years but what will matter is that in life, even the common every day things,  you lived to bring glory to God."


1 comment:

Lee said...

Well done Mr. Lawrenson. Well done.
Isn't that what we all crave to hear when we meet Jesus?
Good and faithful servant, well done. I hope the boys listened, HEARD, and embraced what you had to say. Too bad the world doesn't have more Andy Lawrensons.

New Site is up and Running

My new web site which now hosts my blog posts is up and fully functional. You can check it out at andylawrenson.com . There is also a ...