Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Blue 42! Blue 42! Hut Hut!

I'm pretty stoked about Friday evening.  High school football kicks off for the season.  (I'm so punny) What has me so stoked is not the game, the fans, the hot dogs, the hot chocolate, I'm stoked about the team.  This year I have been asked to do the pre-game (volunteer) devotion for the Manteo Redskins.

I have done ministry in the schools in the past but never in this sort of capacity.  I'm excited that God has given me this opportunity.  This Friday night, following the team pre-game meal, I get to share for the first time with the team.  I've been thinking about what to say.  These guys don't know me so I think I'm going to drop in a practice this week and just hang out.  I'm also going to share Friday night a little bit of my story so they can get to know me.  Everything I do in life, as a believer, should be an act of worship to God.  I think this Friday night I'm going to share with the team that as they take the field to play not just for the coaches, not just for their school or parents, but to take the field and play to the glory of God.  

I'll update the blog here and let everyone know how this goes.  

11 comments:

Apple said...

What a great opportunity for you and the boys! I'm so excited for what God has in store.

Mr. Leary said...

Don't know if I let you know, but practice is from 3:30 to 5:30 tomorrow.

Andy Lawrenson said...

@chad . . . excellent!

Andy Lawrenson said...

looks like I better bring a poncho

The Beaver Bunch said...

Wow! What a cool opportunity. I'll offer up a prayer on your behalf that the guys will be receptive and God will give you words.

Apple said...

...and muck boots...but won't it be fun??!!

Andy Lawrenson said...

I'll just wear my usual flip flops. Feet wash just as easy as muck boots.

Lee said...

Have you seen Facing the Giants yet? Just an idea....

Andy Lawrenson said...

@lee - yes, good movie

Rick Lawrenson said...

If the head coach "buys in" it could be the most amazing outreach you've ever had. If he doesn't then the team won't be interested either.

Let's hope this guy buys in. I've been a chaplain on both types of teams.

Andy Lawrenson said...

he "buys in", it was his idea. Which is a good thing

New Site is up and Running

My new web site which now hosts my blog posts is up and fully functional. You can check it out at andylawrenson.com . There is also a ...