Monday, April 21, 2008

What is Your Plan?

Part 1

I get invitations often for our youth group to join another youth group or groups for a combined youth event.  I’m sure some of the events or activities are good, I’m also sure that some are not.  The reason why I say I’m sure that some are not good events is because they are thrown together at the last minute, promoted at the last minute, and there appears on the surface to be a lack of organization.  With those red flags waving in my face it is hard for me to agree to take our students to a poorly planned event.

Now here on the Outer Banks there is a “last minute” mentality.  Let’s wait till the last minute to plan, last minute to register, last minute to show up or even be at least a half hour late.  I guess this is the nature of our beach culture.

I posted last week about doing youth ministry skillfully.  Is it skillful youth ministry to plan events and activities last minute or even “on a whim”?

A few problems with this approach to youth ministry:

>Lack of organization

>Reflects a lack of professionalism

>Not enough time to promote and publicize

>Not considerate of people’s lives and already full calendars

>Usually the event ends up being lame or not affective

>Event’s purpose isn’t clear or lacks purpose

>Won’t have as much participation as a well thought-out and planned event.

Some approach youth ministry as event driven or activity driven,  “If we do more events and activities we will reach more students.”   I believe this is shallow youth ministry.  Students don’t need an activity director, as a matter of fact most students are busy enough already and they don’t need just another activity to fill their calendar.  You reach more with quality than quantity.

NHC Youth’s calendar of events is planned out, at this point, through February of 2009.  More on how we plan events in “What’s Your Plan?” Part 2

2 comments:

Apple said...

Unfortunately, some churches do not feel "lead" to provide their youth with a full time minister.

I think that it speaks volumes when a church believes that a youth director can be both a full time employee in the community and still have enough time to sufficiently minister to the youth of the church.

Andy Lawrenson said...

I'm going to blog about how this can be accomplished by volunteer or even a team of volunteers (best route to go if no paid staff).

I agree. I have seen churches that have 40 to 50 teens on Sunday morning but nothing organized beyond Sunday School.

NHC had the vision, with only about 65 or 70 members at the time, to bring on a full time staff to pastor the children's and youth ministries. Where there is no vision. . .

New Site is up and Running

My new web site which now hosts my blog posts is up and fully functional. You can check it out at andylawrenson.com . There is also a ...