Saturday, April 26, 2008

Poll Results and Response

Response to the Poll

We start off the day with prayer and Bible reading – 11%
Way to go! What better way to leave the house heading for a day at school than knowing you have been prayed for? Start the day off with God and the day seems to go much smoother.

We are busy to fit it into our schedule – 7%
If a Christian family is too busy than something has to go in the schedule. This small investment of daily time will have huge returns in the long run. Everyone go to be 15 minutes earlier and wake up 15 minutes earlier. In our culture we have so over-packed our schedules and families have become so busy. Little Susie has to be in dance, volleyball and girl scouts all at the same time. Children are so over involved in extra curricular activities and the result is more stress in the home and on the child. Let the child narrow down their choice to one activity outside of school and church and stick with it, this teaches them the art of prioritizing. When I look at my calendar it clearly tells me where, what, and who, my priorities are.

I don’t think my kids would want to – 6%
Does a parent let their child stay home from school if the child doesn’t want to go? Since when are the children supposed to call the shots? You may be surprised that they do want to. “I don’t think”, have you asked them? Maybe they would love to have their mom and dad sit down and pray with them before heading off to school. Perhaps they would like a family devotion time together. I double dog dare you to take the 6-week challenge. Spend 6 weeks of prayer with your child in the morning and then a family devotion time in the evening a few nights a week. At first they may not be enthused but they will get the hang of it, just make sure you find a devotional that is age appropriate and interesting and involves them.

Not sure where to start – 29%
This is encouraging to me. There is no sense of having given up but just not sure what to do. I think this is more than likely the boat that most parents are in. They want to but are not sure what to do. My theory is that some parents don’t know where to start because no one did this for them when they were children. More is caught than taught. If you find you don’t know where to start here are a few tips:
>Set a time with your family
>Start with prayer
>Read a chapter from Proverbs or get a devotional book or a Bible that is easy to read.
>Let the kids share their prayer request and you share yours.
>Have a time of prayer
>Most importantly let the kids be involved by letting them read or take the lead or write down the prayer requests in a family prayer journal.
>Just do it! Start today.
>Heart Connex family devotional

We follow supper with prayer and a devo – 26%
Family supper is important and in many families it is disappearing. Way to go! Keep it up. Perhaps you have some tips you could share in the comments to help the parents that aren’t sure where to start.

Other – 21%
There were several different devotion options shared. Some aren’t daily but do so a few times a week, which is great.

2 comments:

~*~Bre~*~ said...

Hi, Andy. I ventured your way through Nate. I didn't take your poll, but I wanted to ask your opinion. I am a PK, so devotions are something I love to do. However, my husband does not. He is a Christian, but wasn't raised in a Christian household, so daily prayer and stuff wasn't in their routine. I have asked my dad several times to suggest a family/couple friendly devotional, but he has yet to come through for me with some good ones. Can you please list some on your site? It would be appreciated! Thanks

Brianne

Lee said...

Brianne~
I am not Andy, nor do I pretend to be Andy. However, I do have a very good devotional that our family is using right now.
Powerful Prayers For your Family by David and Heather Kopp. Essentially, there is a scripture to read at the beginning followed by a brief story type explanation of the scripture. Then there is "family talk" with a question conversation starter based on the scripture. That is followed by another scripture and a prayer related to it. It is a little different than devos we've used as a family in the past but still very effective. My kids are 14, 12, and 8 and they all seem to have something to contribute during the discussion portion.
I just paused here to say a prayer for your family. I prayed your husband's heart would be softened to the concept of family prayer and devo time. I prayed the Lord might use such a time together to draw you closer to Him and to each other through His word.
God Bless!

New Site is up and Running

My new web site which now hosts my blog posts is up and fully functional. You can check it out at andylawrenson.com . There is also a ...