Thursday, May 29, 2008

No More Contagious . . .

on Wednesday nights.

Last night we had our last Wednesday night youth group gathering, at least for a while, we are going to experiment with youth group on Sunday night.  Why?
1.  Lots of scheduling conflicts that interrupted our momentum.
2.  To relieve already stressful week with parents having to rush home from work, feed the kids, run the teen to the church, all within an hour's time.
So now we move onto Sunday nights.  It's always fun to try something new and at NHC change is a part of our normal routine.

Last night we had a bunch of students here building relationships with each other.  We were pretty much stuck indoors because the weather was quite nasty.  We downed 45 hot dogs (I hear one guy ate 6, I'm sure he had to get sick, we will have to impose a limit when we get tot he beach on amount of hot dogs consumed by one individual), and a few gallons of ice cream.  All the baptists out there said, "hey, that's fellowship!"

We wrapped up our six week series on HABITS with Studying Scripture.
Here's the outline:

DEVELOPING HABITS THAT WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE

Part 6: Studying Scripture

******************

Opposing views of the Bible

 

World’s view:

 

Christian view:

  • a book about a bunch of dead guys and irrelevant information that has nothing to do with life in the 21st century
  • it’s a history book
  • it’s a book of rules

 

  • it’s the history of God’s power and his route for salvation, peace, & happiness
  • it’s God’s love letter
  • it’s a road map for living life to its fullest

Why study the Bible?

The law of the Lord is perfect, reviving the soul. The decrees of the Lord are trustworthy, making wise the simple.

The commandments of the Lord are right, bringing joy to the heart. The commands of the Lord are clear, giving insight to life. Psalm 19:7-8

1. To understand God’s CHARACTER

[Jesus speaking] The Father and I are one." I and the Father are one . . . If you really knew me, you would know my Father as well. Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. John 10:30

2. To know God’s WAYS

Your word is a lamp for my feet and a light for my path. Psalm 119:105

3. To hear God’s VOICE

All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It straightens us out and teaches us to do what is right. It is God's way of preparing us in every way, fully equipped for every good thing God wants us to do. 2 Timothy 3:16-17

4. To deepen your FAITH

And we are confident in the Lord that you are practicing the things we commanded you, and that you always will. May the Lord bring you into an ever deeper understanding of the love of God and the endurance that comes from Christ. 2 Thessalonians 3:4-5

5. To change your LIFE

For the word of God is full of living power. It is sharper than the sharpest knife, cutting deep into our innermost thoughts and desires. It exposes us for what we really are. Hebrews 4:12

How studying the Bible can change your life

But if you keep looking steadily into God's perfect law—the law that sets you free—and if youdo what it says and don't forget what you heard, then God will bless you for doing it. James 1:25

…looking steadily  STUDY  +  do what it says OBEY  =  God will bless you  REWARD

But those who obey God's word really do love him. That is the way to know whether or not we live in him. 1 John 2:5

 One Last Thought: Mark Twain said, “It ain’t those parts of the Bible that I can’t understand that bother me, it’s the parts that I do understand.” When you develop habits that will change your life, you’ll have the discipline and power to make God’s Word VISIBLE in your life…and you’ll never be the same again.

Thanks to Doug Fields and the good folks at Simply Youth Ministry. 

I've been using Simply as a resource for years, always good stuff there to be found and used.

Parents:  Look for some good Bible study resources for your teen.  We gave out, to students that wanted, a study on I John last night.  We have also made available to our youth the One Minute Bible (which we will use to tie into our devos on the beach this summer) and launching June 1st,studentdevo.com a few of my youth pastor friends and I have been working on a daily devotional blog site.  We have provided all the materials to go along with the HABITS for our students keeping in mind that you can take a horse to water but you can't make them drink.  Developing HABITS is something that students have to do on their own.  Watching their parents and other adults model these HABITS helps them, more is caught than taught.

6 comments:

Lee said...

Good luck on your Sunday night move. Hope that works out better for the families of your teens. Keep us posted on how that move affects your ministry.

Speckledpup said...

andy.
I don't comment very much, but I read you every day and love when you share your devo outlines....love it love it love it.
now then, because I'm a preacher's kid and can't help but be a pain...how's the diet?
tee hee hee

Apple said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andy Lawrenson said...

Diet is still going on. I blew it wednesday but am buckling down to try to drop 5 more pounds in the next two weeks.

marie said...

Remember-- T's table and my table won "free" hot dogs...it helps to take notes!!!

Lee said...

When I attended WW meetings and would have a week when I didn't lose any weight at all, I would be reminded of something called the BLT's.
Bites, licks, tastes.
Every little thing you put in your mouth can add up. Since I cook soooooo much, I tend to nibble while I cook. When I watch the BLT's, there is a significant difference in weight loss that week. No more tasting while cooking, licking the spoon, popping a few chocolate chips in my mouth when baking, no testing the gravy, etc. Boring but it makes a diff.

New Site is up and Running

My new web site which now hosts my blog posts is up and fully functional. You can check it out at andylawrenson.com . There is also a ...