Sunday, May 18, 2008

ADD Wonderings

Today we were needing a sound tech so as the utility player I stepped in to help out, sometimes that has to be done in ministry.  It was fun getting to serve in a different capacity today.
As I sat in the back of the auditorium (it's not "the sanctuary", uh, that would be you and me) I had some ADD wonderings. . . .

Ever wonder why parents don't take advantage of a fantastic, secure nursery with loving, caring staff?  Ever wonder if they think "this will be the Sunday that my _____ month old will remain quiet the entire service?  Ever wonder if parents realize the distraction caused and that they themselves may be distracted from hearing what God has for them or experiencing God in worship?

Ever wonder why some parents think that their kids will enjoy the adult service?  Ever wonder why some parents don't take their kids to kids' church where the child can hear the Word of God on their own level and learn about God in a fun, exciting atmosphere, with other children?  Ever wonder why parents that believe they should worship together as a family don't go and worship in kids' church as a family instead?

Ever wonder why some people can't seem to make it through an hour long service without having to take a potty break?  Ever wonder if perhaps they drank too much free coffee before the service?  Ever wonder if they think that the song is the "potty break" cue?  Ever wonder why some Baptist churches only have cold water in their restrooms?

Ever wonder why some people take a nap at church?  Ever wonder if they go to bed early enough the night before so as to not bring God their leftovers on Sunday morning?  Ever wonder if their sleep would be more comfortable if they had just slept in on Sunday morning instead of getting up, getting dressed, driving to church, walking in, taking their seat, then taking their nap, with their head slumped over and slobber coming out of the corner of their mouth, occasionally waking up to realize that they were napping and then pretending to be in deep thought, mediation or prayer?  Ever wonder why they just don't stay home and sleep if they are that sleep deprived?  Ever wonder why it is we can stay awake during an hour long television show or 3 hour ball game but not during an hour long service?  Ever wonder if they didn't get a cup of coffee before the service and then wonder if they had if they would have left during a song for a potty break?

Ever wonder why some people don't have enough self control to not constantly click the pen during the sermon?  Ever wonder if they have lost all control of their finger and just can't stop?  Ever wonder how they would react if you snatched the pen out of their hand?  Ever wonder why they don't invest in a pencil, a number two pencil, that won't click?  Ever wonder if they are even aware that their hand is clicking a pen?  Ever wonder what they would do if you held your pen next to their ear and clicked it about 1,000 times?

Ever wonder why someone would wonder about all these things?

17 comments:

TerryKM said...

I'm wondering if you were wondering all these things during the sermon?

Steve Goatley said...

yes I have wondered some of those things Andy and I appreciate that someone actually said it or typed it out loud......funny the things that run through our minds....ever wonder, since it so obvious that these people’s minds are not on the sermon.....just what is it they are wondering????? ;D

amy smith said...

yah, clearly you got a lot out of the service. ;)

amy smith said...

and p.s. you answered one of my questions... yes, guys get PMS. :)

Andy Lawrenson said...

I did my wondering during the second service so it was my second run through. :) I took notes during the first service. Plus when you sit in the back at the sound table you get a different perspective than you do from the stage and a different perspective than from sitting in the congregation.

CJolly said...

As the ADD Youth Pastor you are easily distracted, and the view from the back of the room obviously allowed you to focus in on the distractions. There did seem to be a lot of coming and going this morning didn't there! especially in the second gathering.

BTW I understand from a number of people that the sound was superb! Thanks! You are a man of many talents!

Terry Gray Sr. said...

I can tell you one thing. The early service rocked this morning. Don't know if Andy had anything to do with that or not, but the band was awesome. And one other thing, Rick was blasting this morning, I mean he was hyped, or appeared to me to be, and did a GREAT job!

But maybe it was just Andy with his mixing skills.

Hmmmm, one of those things that makes you wonder.

Apple said...

You crack me up! I bet you and T are a lethal combination.

Bonnie said...

my my..... I'm glad I didn't fall asleep on the platform...that would have been embarassing! Especially if I drooled.

ladybug said...

Bonnie - you looked fabulous on the platform in your pretty brown dress - Rich, on the other hand, had this strange far off look that sometimes made me wonder what he was thinking -

just goes to show you that the view from the front row is completely different than from the back - :)

Mrs Redboots (Annabel Smyth) said...

I, too, have wondered these things, especially when I am preaching! Am I really that boring (don't answer that!!!)? Is my husband really asleep, and what would he say if I asked his neighbour to poke him? Couldn't you have left the room before you came in?

Mind you, to be fair, I've had to leave the room myself once or twice, although never when taking the service, and going during a hymn or the Peace is a lot less disruptive than getting up and going out in the sermon or a prayer!

And some kids just won't be separated from their parents, no matter how hard the parents try.... and I'd rather they came to church, even if they only last ten minutes, than didn't!

funloving23 said...

Just a sidenote- some kids cannot be placed in nursery due to immune compromises. People used to always snip at my sister and tell her how she "should" have her child in nursery, however his doctors completely forbid it. Nursery/day cares are one of the #1 places kids get sick.

John and Michelle said...

Loved this post. Especially about the kids. And then about the parents going to kids church with them instead!! I laughed til I about choked to death. Thanks!! (Is laughing activity points?)

I have to sit in the front, otherwise I am too distracted by everyone in front of me.

Keep laughing. I love reading your blog. (Found it from Nate's.) You all are hilarious!

Andy Lawrenson said...

Obviously I'm not saying some don't have medical reasons. But that would be a very small amount. With the coughing and hacking we hear in church sometimes I would say the germs in there abound as well.

From what I've seen the children that struggle the most with nursery or kids' church it is because they aren't introduced to the church nursery at an early age or mom and dad's church involvement has been so hit and miss or "church hopping" that the kid never finds a normal routine.

This is also a good plug for having the same nursery staff every week. The kiddos do so much better when they see the same familiar face week after week. Ever wonder why our PK class doesn't struggle with children not wanting to be left by mom and dad as the nursery does? Because they see the same two teachers every week in Lil' K.

My 3 year old cries at church.....when he has to leave and go home. :)

Apple said...

You are so right, routine is crucial for the little ones. When we first changed churches, my girl had a really hard time because she associated church with her Sunday School teacher (and pepsi and candy, but that's another issue). But, since we have weekly insisted that she go to Lil K, offered rewards for going quietly, and raved on and on about it afterwards...she has worked into a routine and now goes without issue. Though she still begs to go hear the music in "big" church...she is her daddy's girl. :)

The sleeping issue was also another big one in my family. Once we got to a certain age (which was fairly young), if we started to fall asleep during church...we were given a stern tap from some unhappy parents. Learned behavior. Church is not the place to sleep...and seriously, you can't get much more entertaining than NHC, so I'm wondering...narcolepsy? :)

The Beaver Bunch said...

I have a question: Why do people think they need their cell phone in church? I see so many people w/ them on their belts, and it NEVER fails, one rings during the sermon. How distracting for the pastor!

On another note, we do take our 3 1/2 yr old to "big church." Every week she asks if she can go to "Pister Michael's Class." Mostly she just colors, but every now and then she'll catch something that sparks conversation throughout the week.

Yesterday, I must admit, she was more disruptive than normal. As soon as the sermon began, she had to go potty. After she and my husband had been gone in excess of 10 min, I began to wonder. Cheerfully, she came back, and smiling from ear to ear, announced (a little too loud) "Mommy! Daddy poo-pooed in the potty!" The row in front of us got a good laugh!

She joins her brother and sister downstairs the 2nd hour, for her SS class, while we help in the youth. We wouldn't dare bring our 2 yr olds yet, they'd NEVER make it.

jamie said...

Yes, I have.....
God Bless
Jamie in Texas

New Site is up and Running

My new web site which now hosts my blog posts is up and fully functional. You can check it out at andylawrenson.com . There is also a ...