Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Contagious Tonight

Youth group was great tonight.  Two of our table groups multiplied tonight.  We had to set up two more tables.  It is great that we have such a great team of adults investing into the lives of the students.  We are growing so it will be cool to see how God grows the team.

I'll just go ahead and apologize to the parents for the sugar rush your kid may have had tonight when you picked him/her up.  We move to the beach next week so we cleaned out the snack shack cabinet.  Everyone got candy bars tonight.

DEVELOPING HABITS THAT WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE

Part 5: Money, Tithing, God & me

The truth about money 

The world’s way says …

God’s way says…

Money is important

Loving God is most important

No one can serve two masters. For you will hate one and love the other, or be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.

Luke 16:13 

Money gives me power

Loving money makes me powerless

For the love of money is at the root of all kinds of evil. 1 Tim. 6:10a

Money gives me happiness

Loving money leads to pain

For the love of money is at the root of all kinds of evil. And some people, craving money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many sorrows.

1 Timothy 6:10b

Money gives me security

Loving money makes me insecure

Don't weary yourself trying to get rich. Why waste your time? For riches can disappear as though they had the wings of a bird! Proverbs 23:4-5


The truth about giving

1. Giving proves that I recognize God as the rightful owner

When you have eaten your fill, praise the Lord your God for the good land he has given you. Deuteronomy 8:10

2. Giving proves that I put God First in my life

"Well, then," Jesus said, "give to Caesar what belongs to him. But everything that belongs to God must be given to God." This reply completely amazed them. Mark 12:17

and he will give you all you need from day to day if you live for him and make the Kingdom of God your primary concern. Matthew 6:33

3. Giving proves I trust God to provide for me

Honor the Lord with your wealth and with the best part of everything your land produces. Then he will fill your barns with grain, and your vats will overflow with the finest wine. Proverbs 3:9-10 (See also Malachi 3:10)

                                                                       
                                                                        
When you give… 

1. Inspect your Heart (give cheerfully)

You must each make up your own mind as to how much you should give. Don't give reluctantly or in response to pressure. For God loves the person who gives cheerfully. 2 Corinthians 9:7

2. Reject Recognition (give in secret)

Give your gifts in secret, and your Father, who knows all secrets, will reward you. Matthew 6:4

3. Expect God’s blessing (get beyond expectations)

If you give, you will receive. Your gift will return to you in full measure, pressed down, shaken together to make room for more, and running over. Whatever measure you use in giving—large or small—it will be used to measure what is given back to you." Luke 6:38

 One Last Thought: Giving back to God is a constant reminder that he is first in my life.


Parent/Teen discussion starter:

Have you talked with your teen about your expectations of them and their finances and when and if they will be expected to get a job?  With summer fast upon us now would be a great time to come up with a plan and discuss it with your teen.

5 comments:

John and Michelle said...

I just have to tell ya ... as I was sitting in "big" church last night, I found myself, (after three people turned around all at the same time)..... "clicking" my pen. Ahhhh!!!!! I thought of your blog immediately. Ooops! No more pens that click for me!

CFHusband said...

sounds "great"!

;)

Andy Lawrenson said...

I have a bad habit of cracking my knuckles when it is real quiet or during prayer. Sometimes I don't even realize I'm doing it. I'm sure it can be distracting to those around me.

Barbara Metcalf Bella Vista, Arkansas said...

Pet peeve of mine—money jinglers during prayer. Why? Such a strange habit.

Andy Lawrenson said...

I heard someone snoring this morning

New Site is up and Running

My new web site which now hosts my blog posts is up and fully functional. You can check it out at andylawrenson.com . There is also a ...