Friday, November 14, 2008

The Old Stomping Grounds

There is something fun about returning to the old stomping grounds.

Last night I drove the big blue van of happiness onto the campus of Liberty University.  That place has changed a lot since the 20 something years ago when I stepped onto campus as a student.  I was able to point out some random LU trivia to the students I was hauling there for College For A Weekend.  

"To the right you will notice the prayer chapel where my we got married.(Mish is with me)"
"The Demoss Hall didn't use to be this tall"
"Let me tell you about David's Place . . ."
"Dorm 3, The Pit, was my dorm.  Now it's a girl's dorm.  What have they gone and done?"

It's been fun watching LU change over the years.  I'm certainly glad they aren't stuck back in the 70's.  At times I even wonder if I attended in the wrong era.  

So when hitting the old stomping grounds of life, church, etc.  Be glad for change, otherwise we would still have ladies wearing beehives on their heads.  (to those churches that still sport the beehive, please don't take that last statement personally)  Don't get stuck in the past, look to the future and be happy for change.   The word "change" is causing many SBC church members to shutter in their shoes.  It's OK.  Enjoy memories of the past but live the present and look to the future.  Like LU has moved on from the 70's to the present hopefully your church has done the same.

These are this morning's random thoughts from a guy who realized last night that he went to LU when the students there now weren't even born yet.  Yikes!

Now I need to plan my trip to the Texas Inn, but first breakfast with Jonathon Falwell.

5 comments:

ZazFamily said...

the Texas inn, now that is Lynchburg and lots of memories.....

Andy Lawrenson said...

Jonathan was a "no show" they had Dr. Elmer Towns there instead.

Nancy H. said...

"So when hitting the old stomping grounds of life, church, etc. Be glad for change." Andy that was a very profound statement. I may use it next time I have to do any public speaking. You did good boy!

ladybug said...

sasha is just fine but misses you -

Andy Lawrenson said...

@ladybug I'm sure she does miss me I am her master. I bet she is happy to see J when he comes to take care of her

New Site is up and Running

My new web site which now hosts my blog posts is up and fully functional. You can check it out at andylawrenson.com . There is also a ...