Sunday, November 16, 2008

Blown Away Today


This weekend our family was up in Lynchburg, VA.  I had a few students to take to College For A Weekend at Liberty U.  

Today we attended Blue Ridge Community Church with my brother and his family.  Originally we were going to go to Thomas Road just to check out a service in their new place.  My brother told me that they would be having their baptism service today and then went on to tell me it is one of his favorite times at BRCC.  I later picked up that he was going to attend both services.  Later I heard my niece say a few times that she didn't want to miss the baptism service.  I'm not a smart man but I knew something must be up at BRCC and the baptism service.

The worship gathering started off with some great music and even a David Crowder (love his music) tune.  Then Pastor Woody Torrence  got up and made a few comments about what was going on at their church.  The baptistry was a modified cattle trough sitting in the center of the stage.  The baptisms started off with a man giving his story of how his life was a wreck and spiraling out of control until he put his faith in Jesus Christ.  A powerful testimony of God's work in his life.  Then something happened that blew me away.  As he stepped into the baptistry out of the congregation came friends and family, people who had invested in his life, his small group, his new brothers in Christ, his family.  They filled the stage, I would guess around 40 people in all stood around the baptistry as he was baptized.  It was incredibly moving moment and powerful to witness God at work in this man's life.

The service went on as one after another were baptized and a second man shared his story which was just as powerful as the first of how God had totally transformed his life, a life on the brink of suicide.  Each person that was baptized was joined by their "family" on the platform.   

I have gone to church my entire life.  I have seen many baptisms.  There are a few church services that I can say were truly powerful moments.  Today is easily in the top.  This was the most powerful worship gathering I have worshipped in for a long time.  BRCC didn't tag on the baptisms to a service.  The theme, the central focus of the service, was the baptisms and the evidence of God's life changing work in normal everyday lives.  I was blown away today.

On the kids side of things.  Blue Ridge Community Church has it together.  A safe, secure check in process.  A children's ministry security guy walked us every step of the way, even waited in line to go back to the children's wing because we were early and he walked us all the way back to the room.  He spent time talking with our son and with us an obviously had a passion to serve in the ministry he is in.  My son's favorite part of the day, "dancing at church", and he told us, as he does each week, exactly what his lesson was about.  BRCC gets it.  Greeters in the parking lot (one of the things the guy who gave his testimony first shared was the friendliness from the moment he stepped out of the car), greeters at the doors, casual, fun and welcoming.  I love visiting Blue Ridge when we are in the Burg because it feels like home when we are there.  

8 comments:

Scott Lawrenson said...

Andy:
Well said...we obviouly love it there, feel blessed that that BR is our home, and I am quite often "blown away" with God's work there; without a doubt it has been the place of my personal turning point.Glad you enjoyed it.( I've been telling the oldest brother that a baptism at BR is really unlike anything I've ever witnessed)
Thanks for the visit
Scott

ber said...

i loved this entry. it always makes my heart swell hearing about genuine love between "brothers and sisters." lately God's been so faithful in showing me examples at His children at work in simple and yet such profound ways. thank you for sharing your experience, it blessed me.

Lee said...

I also loved this entry. Praise God!
Our baptism service is also very moving. We don't have a church building yet so we meet in a school. For baptism celebrations, we use a local YMCA. Each person being baptized picks a partner to "do the dunking". This person is someone who has been instrumental in the person being baptized life. Everyone gets "dunked" at the same time, with the pastor outside the pool doing the speaking. Prior to entering the pool, we lay hands on each person being baptized and pray over them. We also have a video made of each person being baptized giving a testimony of how God is working in their life. The videos are played during our gathering time and then again the following Sunday at church. Friends, family, neighbors, are all welcome to celebrate. We have our full praise band there with powerful worship before the baptisms and afterwards we have food, games and fellowship. It is very moving.
Since I was baptized as an infant in the Catholic church, I was able to participate in the last celebration. Along with my 8 year old son. My husband baptized him while my pastor's wife baptized me. There were 9 others in the pool. Halellujah!
Worship in general has been very powerful lately at our church. I mean, it's always meaningful and good, but lately there seems to be more fervent worship of our God. His presence is palpable. The energy is electric. People are coming to faith regularly and our church is growing. (in numbers but also more importantly, spiritually growing).
I digress. I am simply on fire for God and so excited to hear about other worhsip experiences. So glad you were able to worship with a great body of believers!

Terry Gray Sr. said...

Way cool Andy, glad you shared this post. It sounds like an awesome experience.

Unknown said...

Dude, I'm one of the parking guys and one of the guys on stage with Paul during early service. Your recollection of the day encapsulated so well what we are all about. Glad you came! Come back and see us!

Andy Lawrenson said...

@vikingcowboy I'll be back next time I'm in the Burg

Unknown said...

SWEET!

I hope you don't mind, but I just posted this blog entry on my facebook, where a bunch of us "Ridgers," especially us parking boys, congregate. This is going on the bulletin board in the parking equipment room, too.

Andy Lawrenson said...

@vikingcowboy Don't mind at all. I dig your glow in the dark ski caps!

New Site is up and Running

My new web site which now hosts my blog posts is up and fully functional. You can check it out at andylawrenson.com . There is also a ...