Tuesday, November 4, 2008

How Concerned or Involved are you?

Sunday night we had a new family bring their teen to youth group.  Awesome!  Even cooler than that was the parents sat down with me before hand to find out what we were about and what we did at youth group.  That is rare.  I think most Christian parents just make an assumption about their church's youth ministry without ever talking with the YM team.   I can only think of a few times, in the 15 years I have been doing youth ministry, where parents actually asked if they could stick around and see what we do.

I encourage you to hang out at your son or daughter's youth group one night (discreetly so as to not cramp their style) and see what your church's youth ministry is all about.  Perhaps if this were done more often parents would not ground their kids from youth group because most will discover that there teens are actually learning from God's Word and not just playing Pudgy Bunny.

This whole thought leads me to this question:
How important is it to you as a parent that your teen be plugged into a church with an active and healthy youth ministry?  Why or why not?   
Something to think about.  

1 comment:

Nancy H. said...

It is extremely important to me that my son is "Plugged In" to a youth group. It plays a major part in who my son is and who he is to beocme. It also rubs off in his life, even though he may not realize it. I have gotten letters from my son's high school teachers saying that Evan was extremely committed and dedicated to his Christian beliefs and even in tough situations(like debate class)he stands true to his beliefs. Youth Group and church(and his parents) and his friends from youth all contribute to Evan's spititual growth.

New Site is up and Running

My new web site which now hosts my blog posts is up and fully functional. You can check it out at andylawrenson.com . There is also a ...