Tuesday, November 25, 2008

"It's My Life!"

“It’s my life!” How many parents of teens have heard this phrase shouted in their home? Yes, I see that hand. How many of us have been guilty of saying that to our parents? Yes, I see our hands.

It is important to share with our kids that indeed it is not our life. We have been bought with a price. Jesus redeemed our lives when He went to the cross and died for our sins. Jesus paid the purchase price so who owns us? Right. This life I have is not my own, I belong to God.

How do we teach this to our kids?
Live it out ourselves. They must see in our lives that we recognize that our lives belong to God. Our hypocrisy as parents can cause great spiritual damage.
Discover together. Show them from God’s Word. Read with them. Note I didn’t say “pound them I the head with the Bible” or “preach” at them.
Recognize this lived out in the lives of others. Point your teen to someone who is living this fundamental of faith out in his or her life.
Discuss together God’s right to our lives. How would recognizing this change our decision making process?

Show me your ways, O LORD, teach me your paths; guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long
Psalm 25:4

No comments:

New Site is up and Running

My new web site which now hosts my blog posts is up and fully functional. You can check it out at andylawrenson.com . There is also a ...