Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Gobble Gobble!

That’s right, it’s about God.  Yet another holiday with God as the basis of the holiday, much like Christmas.  Watch TV during Thanksgiving and we will see lots of people dressed like pilgrims and Native Americans.  Watching the news this morning I saw that there are parents protesting their children’s school because of the making of the paper pilgrim hats and bonnets as well as headbands with feathers. 

Now I grew up my entire elementary school life, which is a year longer than most Americans because I failed K5, making the construction paper hats and headbands.  One year I even dressed in a complete native American costume.  Look at me, it didn’t distort me or cause me any permanent damage. . . OK maybe I’m not the best example.  But I do know that Thanksgiving isn't a negative towards our Native Americans.  The Native Americans played a huge roll in helping the pilgrims survive, a relationship that was great for 50 years.

I hear a lot of “What are you thankful for?”, “I’m thankful for ______.” on TV but I don’t hear “I’m thankful to God for ________.”  Again another holiday moving away from God and becoming consumer centered. 

This year let’s make sure our kids understand that Thanksgiving is about giving thanks to God.  The pilgrims recognized God, so should we:

"Our harvest being gotten in, our governor sent four men on fowling, that so we might after a special manner rejoice together after we had gathered the fruit of our labors. They four in one day killed as much fowl as, with a little help beside, served the company almost a week. At which time, among other recreations, we exercised our arms, many of the Indians coming amongst us, and among the rest their greatest king Massasoit, with some ninety men, whom for three days we entertained and feasted, and they went out and killed five deer, which they brought to the plantation and bestowed upon our governor, and upon the captain, and others. And although it be not always so plentiful as it was at this time with us, yet by the goodness of God, we are so far from want that we often wish you partakers of our plenty."

From the most detailed description of the "First Thanksgiving" comes from Edward Winslow from A Journal of the Pilgrims at Plymouth, in 1621.

Side Note:  I don’t ever remember being taught that Squanto, the native American who helped the pilgrims, already spoke English.  Taught English by other European settlers and trappers and also was sold into slavery, sent to live in Spain and then was freed by his master and allowed to return to America.  I learned this watching the Peanuts Thanksgiving special last night.  See, cartoons are a great source of education and knowledge.

 

2 comments:

ZazFamily said...

andy, your insight into stuff never ceases to amaze me. have a great thanksgiving, continue serving and being faithful to the "One to whom we owe eternal thanksgiving."

Terry Gray Sr. said...

Wow , Andy you have hit it on the head. I really was putting some thought today in what does Thanksgiving mean? As I went through all the images of the pilgrams and Indians, Turkeys on the table and the offer of thanks for the peace in times of awe the early folks must have felt. I thought to myself...you know it is as simple as offering thanks to a forgiving God that truely loves us and wants us to live for him.

I give thanks today.......in prayer!

New Site is up and Running

My new web site which now hosts my blog posts is up and fully functional. You can check it out at andylawrenson.com . There is also a ...