Tuesday, November 4, 2008

My Two Cents Worth




My Voting  Experience 2008
by Andy Lawrenson
  • Arrived at the voting poll location at 9:01AM
  • Only 12 people ahead of me
  • Lady behind me an obvious smoker
  • Lady in front of me moved since last election and had to fill out a change of address form
  • Gave my name and address verbally to the election officer
  • Noticed the cookies and muffins and coffee for the election workers behind him
  • Thought to self, "This wouldn't be a bad gig, I'd get coffee and muffins!"
  • Then I changed my mind 
  • They had the A/C off, it was 80 degrees
  • Signed a form
  • No Identification was needed
  • Any guy could have said he was me and voted in my place
  • Was handed my ballot
  • Went to my little booth to vote
  • Black pen was tied to the booth
  • Left handed people are being discriminated against in this voting process
  • Pen was tied to the right hand side of the booth with a string
  • Difficulty filling in black circles with black pen due to discrimination
  • Had testing flashbacks from my school days
  • Felt relieved because I knew all the answers (ie. voted for the right people)
  • Election judge was taking ballots from voters and putting them in the counting machine
  • "Not with my vote Buddy!" slid my ballot in all by myself
  • Got a sweet sticker (see picture)
  • Told the election official that Starbucks was giving out free coffee
  • She announced to the whole room
  • Also Tropical Smoothie is giving 10% off; Ace is not charging sales tax to voters
  • I was the 209th voter in our precinct
  • Back in my pick up at 9:22AM
  • Still thinking about the muffins
  • Not thinking about the muffins anymore
  • Found a muffin in the church fridge

11 comments:

Katie Lamont said...

We waited for 2 hours here! It was much longer for other last names. I-O names weren't very well represented. Otherwise we would have been there for atleast another hour!

CFHusband said...

turns out, it's illegal for anyone to pay or give anything to anyone else simply because they voted. All of those businesses could, but probably won't, get sued. I believe SB, B&J's and KK have all changed their minds and are giving free stuff to everyone today, regardless of the vote.

LauraZazPosada said...

I didn't get an "I voted" sticker...bummer cuz Krispy Kreme is giving away free patriotic donuts if you show up with one. The M-Z line was NO line when I went! Those poor first half of the alphabetters were waiting about 8-10 people deep in line.

Lee said...

I dind't get a sticker either! :( They said they ran out by 9:00 am...I was there at 9:10am.
This is what I heard behind my curtain:

"Shaelynn, did you poop?"

silence

"I SAID, DID YOU POOP?"

No mama I aint no poopy

"Then what the *#&* is all up in your hands and pants? And it STANK. Awe no, Babeeee, it's all over the dex too"

Then I hear a polling judge clearing her throat asking if everything is ok and ..er...did they need a rag with soapy water.

Andy Lawrenson said...

@lee - flat nasty!

Lee said...

Ummm yea, it was. I think I used an entire bottle of hand sanitizer when I got back in my car....just in case.

Missy said...

love your outline of voting. i was number 705 in my precinct in PA. i didn't get a sticker, no free coffee or B&J's. i saw soup behind the workers tho... oh well, i guess the satisfaction is, that i too, "knew the right answer!"

CFHusband said...

Lee's comment might be the greatest blog comment I've ever read in the history of my life...I never get those kind of comments on my blog...

Andy Lawrenson said...

@milepost13 - That's how we roll here at the add youth pastor

Andy Lawrenson said...

@lee - that really makes me glad I voted early before any little kids had a chance to poopy in the poll booth

Terry Gray Sr. said...

No poopy in the booth fer me either.(I voted early) But..... was 2 miles outside of Buxton @ 3:45a.m.on Election day, going to work, heard a pssss..t out of my half open window, I thought what the heck was that?

My truck started to shimmy and wobble a bit, as I flew past canadian hole I felt the left side of my truck start leaning. The wobble got worse.It was raining cats and dogs, the wind was howling, I had a flat. Spare was not right size, would not work.

Called AAA, three hours later, dropped my truck at brothers station at whalebone, $150.00 lighter for tow, still no new tire, no one has one, waiting for one from Norfolk. It's Wednesday....I hope we don't have another Election Day for a while.

New Site is up and Running

My new web site which now hosts my blog posts is up and fully functional. You can check it out at andylawrenson.com . There is also a ...