Monday, November 3, 2008

". . .A Moral Issue" (Bump)

I posted this following the last debate and with election tomorrow it is on my mind again today.

Last night I watched the debate, thankfully it was the last one and I can’t wait for the election to be done with for several reasons.  I would have to say that of the three debates last night was my favorite but the one I liked best was the civil forum hosted at Saddleback.  The moderator last night did not hold back any punches and I believe asked tougher questions than the other two debate moderators had.  But my post today is not about politics. 

Senator Obama said last night, “abortion is a moral issue”.  Please allow me to take Senator Obama’s statement and take a logical run with it.  We all know that there are two sides to the issue of abortion.  There are those that believe a mom has the right to end the life of the fetus.   There are also those who believe that ending the life of a fetus is basically murder, the ending of a life.  We also know that there can be endless debates about this issue. 

So take Senator Obama’s statement on abortion on a walk down the trail of logic.

Since abortion is a moral issue that means that one view of abortion has to be moral and one has to be immoral. 

Where do we even get our ideas on what is moral and what is immoral?  

Now if  we are the result of some random act of collision out in the void of darkness millions of years ago and have evolved into who we are today with the all the incredibly intricate functions and systems our bodies have then morals are what we as humans have made them to be.  Problem with this is we know that humans aren’t perfect and that we don’t always make the best choices.  Right and wrong would be what we made up as humans.  The only thing I can think of  if this is the case is that we are in a world of hurt because there is no absolute standard.  Take that line of thinking logically and that means what is moral for you may not be moral for me.  What is immoral for me may not be immoral for you because there would be no moral absolutes.  This view of morals leads to a huge mess in society because there is no standard.  One person could view stealing as immoral and another may see no problem with stealing.  Where does this slippery slope lead us?  (by the way if evolution is true how come we aren’t still evolving?  Just curious because I could certainly use eyes on the back of my head and extra set of hands)

If we were created by God, and not some random collision in the outer void of darkness millions and millions of years ago,  then our morals would come from God.  God would set the standard.  God’s standards are found in His word, the Bible.  If this is the case then God lines out what is right and what is wrong.  There would be moral absolutes, standards to live by.  If this is the case I see more order and direction in how we should live as humans and operate as a government.  If this is the case and if as Senator Obama says, “abortion is a moral issue” then we need to look to where we get our morals.

Psalm 139:13

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.

Ecclisiastes 11:5

As you do not know the path of the wind, or how the body is formed in a mother's womb, so you cannot understand the work of God, the Maker of all things.

Job 31:15

Did not he who made me in the womb make them? Did not the same one form us both within our mothers?

New Site is up and Running

My new web site which now hosts my blog posts is up and fully functional. You can check it out at andylawrenson.com . There is also a ...