Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Latest Youth Ministry Craze


. . . well maybe not a craze.  It's my latest invention. . .well maybe others have done this but I haven't seen this done so I'm going to lay claim to it.  

Each week at Contagious our students sit with their family (table) group.  A family group is a small group of students sitting around a table with the same adult leader each week.  The Bible study segment of our night is interactive.  Students take notes on the hand outs and also participate in discussion questions either at the end of the lesson or scattered throughout the lesson.  
 
We were going around each week and making sure each table had pencils, hand outs, etc...
Then the stroke of genius!  Now each family group has their own box.  I pre-load the box earlier in the week then the family group leader grabs the box off of the shelf and puts it the box on their table.  The boxes are labeled/decorated so the students can quickly recognize their table when they walk in for the Bible study time.  Soon I'll be adding a contact card that has all the family group members listed and their phone, email, mailing info. etc...  along with 3x5 cards and the family group leader will assign students from the group to contact absentees/guests.

We just started this system to we will see how it works out.  So far so good as long as the ladies don't send the men in to look for the boxes.  Men can't find anything, and I know, I am one of them.

8 comments:

Bonnie said...

What a GREAT looking box. I wonder if the pencils in it have points? (hint, hint)...a pencil sharpener would be a good thing to add. :)

Lee said...

We'll go ahead and let you think you thought of it first. Our children's pastor loads boxes at the beginning of each week with the Sunday School teachers lesson plans, craft, and any other items needed. She started this because we are a mobile church that has to set up and tear down every week since we meet in a school. Each teacher grabs his/her box out of the trailer every SUnday and it is all ready for them.
Our boxes are NEAR as cute as yours though.

Andy Lawrenson said...

@lee Yes, your children's ministry. I'm talking youth ministry cutting edge stuff here. :)

ladybug said...

I think I'll be bringing my glue gun on Sunday. My box, now that I have one, is pretty sad compared to Bonnie's.

Andy Lawrenson said...

@ladybug Just don't use the glue gun on any middle schoolers

Lee said...

My bad, Andy. You're right. For Youth ministry, this is completely unheard of and right on the edge. You are a total trend setter. *bowing at your feet*. I'm not worthy....

Anonymous said...

I love this idea!! What a great way to organize & pass out materials!

Andy Lawrenson said...

@erin Don't you know it is.
Adding to the box this week:
Family group contact/info list
Pencil Sharpner
Coupon for Free Nacho or Hot Dog to give to the student who participates the most in family group to be given out by the family group leader at the end of the evening.

New Site is up and Running

My new web site which now hosts my blog posts is up and fully functional. You can check it out at andylawrenson.com . There is also a ...