Friday, October 31, 2008

Trunk Or Treat 08

Trunk or Treat 08 is over and was bigger than ever.  Now to plan for ToT 09. . .

Tonight we saw around 1,000 children come through and they were loaded with candy.  We gave out several hundred pounds of candy.
The inflatable games were a blast and they were huge.
We ran out of the popcorn about an hour or so into the night (note to self - order more popcorn)
We gave out around 300 bags and cones of cotton candy.  (order more cotton candy)
I saw many sipping on cups of hot coffee and hot chocolate.
Boars Head was serving up the hot dogs.  (thanks Fred Flintstone)
The traffic team was working hard directing the hundreds of cars that came through tonight.
The trunks were great.  I saw several that were fantastic and it would have been hard to pick a winner this year.  A few of my favorites:
The Penguin family complete with infant penguin.
The Men in Black family complete with infant alien.
Aunt Jemima and her pancake.  (Mark was a good Aunt J.  Sue was a great short stack)
Shreck and Fiona were quite green.
Cat in the hat was popular this year.
We were fair and balanced with both Obama and McCain there and even Sarah Palin paid a visit.

The ToT team did an incredible job, I'm not sure of the count tonight but I think we had at least 80 from our church helping pull of this most excellent bridging event.  All the teams did the great job.  Now it's time to evaluate and adjust.  Wonder if there is any candy left in the house?


5 comments:

Terry Gray Sr. said...

I couldn't agree more with you more "Elvis". This was my first Trunk or Treat, Man what a great time. The Kids were a blast. But you know what? Just a couple of observations have me thinking about this whole thing very close to the heart.
1. The NHC family was fantastic, never before have I seen a more concentrated effort to promote good family fun, and what could be better than a great church as a focus point, or better yet an anchor.
2. In speaking with a few of the guests last night I had chance to meet a family that was vacationing at the Outer Banks for the week. They had heard about the ToT and stopped by. Then the father asked me a question that really started something I never expected; He asked if NHC taught and preached Salvation?

Well.......after about 45 minutes of me explaining about the ongoing battle of Nate and Tricia, and the blessing of a beautiful baby, Their never ending faith and trust in God, The many "meant for me" comments, phrases, and teachings from Pastor Rick, and the general reward from merely being involved in some of the services at NHC and stepping closer to the word of God, through church activities. I thought to myself.....Man, you just gave your first testamony in a long while!
I felt great afterwords, the Father, Mother, 2 daughters and Son-in-law were very attentative, and stated that next year they were going to make NHC a sure thing for worship during their vacation. Now, how great is that?

I am sorry for being long winded on this, I felt I need to vent, and I am very excited about this! I am just truely amazed that among the bags of candy, all the costumes and youngsters scurring about, The main focus is God, and his everlasting love for us sinners.

Andy Lawrenson said...

That is awesome Terry.

Bonnie said...

I thought it was wonderful. My first time as 'mommy' and not a worker. You know what? I missed it! I've already decided that next year, I'm going to have a babysitter to take the little one around and I'm going to jump back into the worker group. I was so impressed at the level of excellence and the genuine happiness I saw from the team members. Thanks for all the hard work you put into it.

ZazFamily said...

WEll DONE!! nagshead church family. you are noticed on the west coast as a church family doing what it takes to reach your community.

Florida_Mom said...

Sounds awesome. Are you going to post some pictures?

Myra

New Site is up and Running

My new web site which now hosts my blog posts is up and fully functional. You can check it out at andylawrenson.com . There is also a ...