Tuesday, October 14, 2008

I needed the reminder...

. . . thought you might also.

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."  Jeremiah 29:11

Many years ago I found myself scratching my head trying to figure out why God was allowing us to go through a storm in life.   There was a time I even got mad at God (don't freak out, He's a big God and can handle it).  I even remember going out in the woods, away from any one's ear-shot, and yelling at Him.  God knew I was in pain and hurting, God knew I didn't understand what He was up to.  It was during that time in my life that I discovered Jeremiah 29:11.  This verse was the knot in the end of my rope.  Jeremiah 29:11 is where I made the choice to truly trust God and that fact that He is sovereign and in control.

Here is the deal:  More often than not we won't know the answers to the "Why's?" until we have passed all the way through the storm or trial.  Only after passing through can we look back and see the hand of God at work.

Don't believe me?  Take a look at my son.  We wouldn't have him today if God had not allowed us to go through the storm.

So this morning I find myself asking the question once again,  "Why God?".  This morning I once again tie the knot in the end of the rope with Jeremiah 29:11.


On a side note:  We, as a church, are reading through The Purpose Driven Life.  Today was chapter two, I found this chapter fit right into what I woke up thinking about this morning.  If you have a copy of the book (if you don't, go get a copy) take some time today and read chapter 2.  If you have children in the home it would be good to have them read it with you.

4 comments:

Florida_Mom said...

Thinking of your family at this time and standing in the gap in prayer for you all.

I wish the news on Tricia had been different. You are right though, God has a plan. As my Pastor is fond of saying, There are no panics in heaven just plans!

In Him

Myra

Bonnie said...

As I read the chapter this morning, Tricia was the first thing I thought of. Then I thought of the adoption of my kids, the storms that I go through with them, and just shook my head and thanked God that he knew the plan, because I am clueless!

marcia said...

Just found the book on my shelf, and will re-read that chapter tonight, Andy! My prayers are for all of the Lawrenson/Kirshner families as you wrestle with God over this latest news! Praying for His peace to surround and and uphold, even in the storm!

Beth said...

Thanks Andy, I think this was a good reminder for all of us. Our prayers are with all of your family, the Kirschners and your church family.

New Site is up and Running

My new web site which now hosts my blog posts is up and fully functional. You can check it out at andylawrenson.com . There is also a ...