Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Staying Ahead

I recently wrote a post about growing your team ahead of the growth of the youth group.  I recognize the need to have more team members than you need to make sure you can adequately minister to student's as a team.  

At the time of writing the first post our team was in need in of two men to join our team.  Since the beginning of summer our team has grown by adding two new ladies and two new men to be family group (table) leaders.  We also added two new kitchen queens to the team, these ladies are vital to the success of Hang Time as they prepare the goodies we put in our bellies.

I'm still convinced that if I am going to pray that God would grow our youth group then I need to stay ahead of the growth.  So where do we stand now?  Right now we are at the exact number of YM team members for our current need and numbers.  So this means that I am, as the team leader, on the prowl for 4 more team members, two men and two ladies.  The goal is to get them into place with another family group leader so they can learn how to lead and then as a group grows we can multiply that group by sending some of the students to another table with their new leader.

This whole idea is true for any youth ministry even if you don't go family or table groups.  If you have decided the ratio for your group to be one adult to ten students then you should staff ahead of the growth as well, especially if you are asking God to grow the youth group.  On a side note I like the ratio of 1 to 8, I think the lower number makes shepherding  group of students easier, especially if you are going to truly shepherd them and build those super important relationships.

3 comments:

marie said...

I like the idea of having more team members than the "immediate need." Having at least two leaders per table (one primary and one novice) ensures continuity if the primary is unable to make it to youth that night. The "novice" easily fills in and the table already is familiar with each other. That's better than doubling up tables or parsing youth out to other tables. Also, if the primary has to leave the ministry permanently or for a temporary short term absence, the novice is ready to step up to primary immediately because they "know the ropes."
Actually I believe there are 3 kitchen queens and I am enjoying my new role there.
Thanks for letting me be a part of an awesome team of dedicated individuals.

Andy Lawrenson said...

Marie - I was referring to the two newbies to the team in the kitchen. You are a seasoned veteran and an excellent kitchen queen. Glad you were willing to change roles in ministry. You rock!

marie said...

Thanks Andy
Although I am a seasoned veteran with youth, the kitchen is a whole 'nuther story!
Different but fun in its own way!

New Site is up and Running

My new web site which now hosts my blog posts is up and fully functional. You can check it out at andylawrenson.com . There is also a ...