Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The Need To Grow Your Team

Someone told me (I haven't researched this but it sounds true to form for the Korean Church) that the church in Korea is praying that God will open the wall so they can get into North Korea and share the gospel.  Now the western church understands prayer, we pray about a lot of things but we often fail where the Korean church has stepped it up a notch.  The church in Korea isn't just praying they are currently training people to go in and share the gospel so that when the wall opens they are ready to roll and not scrambling to get a plan together.  That's putting some faith to your prayer.

I have been praying for years that God will grow our youth ministry and we have seen some growth but I believe we could see a whole lot more growth.  I participate in the Outer Banks Youth Ministry Network and so I know a rough number of how many students we are reaching here on the OBX and I know that there are thousands unreached.  So this means lots of room to grow.  I'm not a number person for number's sake, in fact I get a little uncomfortable when people from other churches ask me how many are in our youth group.  I am a numbers person because each number represents a student who is hearing how God can change their life and growing in their faith.

So if I am praying that God will grow our youth group what am I doing to prepare for that growth?  I shared this recently with our YM team and this has been a burden on my heart for quite some time.  Currently we are right at the number of ladies we need to do ministry to the students we have now and we have immediate ministry opportunities for two men to serve each week in order to minister to the guys we have now.  I am praying and seeking out four men and two ladies to join our team today for the growth of tomorrow.  I don't want to be scrambling next month trying to find youth ministers when the growth comes.  I believe they need to be in place now.  

So this is the task ahead of the YM team this fall semester.  It should be fun getting some new team mates on YM team.

1 comment:

shelmo said...

it is true. i am teaching esl here in seoul, and my church youngnak presbyterian church (IWE- international worship in english) has prayer teams set up meeting speciaifally for that goal. its pretty amazing, humbling and inspiring.

New Site is up and Running

My new web site which now hosts my blog posts is up and fully functional. You can check it out at andylawrenson.com . There is also a ...