Monday, June 30, 2008

A Surfing Weekend


One of the reasons I love living on the Outer Banks is because I love the beach and ocean.  I also love to watch surfing.  I used to surf but due to my out of shapeness I no longer surf.

Friday night at church we showed a surf movie, Distant Shores.  This was an outreach event geared towards youth but we had a great turn out of all ages.  The showing was the passion birthed out of one of our member's surf trips.  Mike saw the film and knew right away it needed to be shown at NHC.  He came back from his trip and went to work putting the event together. (It's great, as a youth pastor, to go to a youth event and not have done the work putting it together.  My basic responsibility was to share the gospel at the end of the film.  The rest was all organized without me.  That's what ministry is all about!  Members getting equipped and turned loose to minister.  A big thanks to all those involved in pulling off this event and to Maximus Pizza and Hukilau Surf Camp for providing the pizzas, all 30 of them.)

The message of the film was powerful.  We are fortunate to have some local pro surfers, Jesse Hines and Noah Snyder living in our area.  Both of these guys love to surf and love to use their sport as an avenue to spread the love of Jesus Christ.  Jesse, Noah joined Nic McLean (Noah's Arc and Walking on Water) to introduce the film and then answered some questions afterwards and hung out with us and threw out some Hurley freebies to the kids.  Thanks Nic, Jesse and Noah for investing in the lives of kids.  You guys are a blessing.

Mike, Nic,  Noah, Jesse

Noah Snyder

Jesse Hines

Nic McLean

Nic, Noah, Me, Jesse
(I'm the heavier dude nestled between the two lean, mean surfing machines)

On Saturday we hosted our first Hukilau Surf Camp of the summer.  This year we are holding 3 camps for students and one for international students.  Hukilau Surf Camp is an outreach of NHC and is the passion of Pastor Steve.  I think just about every camper stood up and rode a wave on Saturday.  Thanks to our camp team and coaches!  The good news of Jesus was shared during one of the breaks.  One young man even showed up for youth group last night at the beach!



Pastor Steve

3 comments:

Rick Lawrenson said...

Cowabunga!

Nancy H. said...

Dude!

Technonana said...

Aren't all youth pastors ADD? I know my son is.. but he calls himself a youth minister. He lives and works in a small town near Charleston,SC, and I'm sure he would like to meet you...He's a surfer too!! Lot's of times when we visit with him by phone he will tell us about his trips to the beach with his "kids". When his dad makes a comment about that, he just says "I'm suffering for Jesus, suffering for Jesus." If you do facebook you can check him out there... Phillip Holladay..Pinopolis,SC
Love the blog...
Mother of an ADD,Youth Minister

New Site is up and Running

My new web site which now hosts my blog posts is up and fully functional. You can check it out at andylawrenson.com . There is also a ...