Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Do You See Me?

The Liberty Journal from Liberty University has a little "Remember When. . .?" page.  This month the page features someone we all know and love, someone really famous.
A stroll down memory lane.  Back in the 1970's I worked as a child at a Treasure Island children's camp.  Treasure Island is located in the middle of the James River in Lynchburg, Va.
I worked for $20 a week for several summers.  My job was to feed, brush and take care of the ponies.  I also saddled them up and gave the pony rides to the campers.  There was also a "petting farm" and I took care of those animals as well.  

I had lots of fun on that island during those summers.  The good old days.  The island was later demolished by flood waters as during a time of a lot of rain the flood waters swept over the island because someone did something wrong with a dam up river.  Thomas Road Baptist Church still owns the island but I'm not sure if it is being used.

So did you see me in the picture?  That's right.  It's me riding old Chip.  I remembered the pony's name which is incredible because I can't remember most people's names.


If you receive the Liberty Journal and would like an autograph just send me the magazine in a self addressed, stamped . . . .

14 comments:

Bonnie said...

nice hat!

Terry Gray Sr. said...

Probaly remembered "Chip".....as in .....CHOC-O-LATE CHIP

Ha Ha Ha.....

Andy Lawrenson said...

That's exactly why his name was chip. I named him that because he was chocolate in color. :)

Barb said...

What a PHUN way for a boy to spend a summer! Camp is awesome...my personal childhood memory is Girl Scout camp. Memories, non-stop singing, learning independence, friends and lots of PHUN!

Back in the 60's ... you could only go to camp for TWO weeks...today's kids are missing out!

Andy Lawrenson said...

Treasure Island actually had a program called Pioneers and those kids would stay for 6 to 8 weeks. That's a long time. Most campers came for one week or two.

Barb said...

I think we need camps for moms, dads and empty-nesters. Why should kids have all the phun? I don't mean resorts. I mean REAL camp: platform tents or cabins, dining hall, devotions, campfires, creeking, hiking, swimming and crafts.

Andy Lawrenson said...

Trust fall...high ropes course

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Barb said...

...oatmeal for breakfast, homemade rolls at dinner, washing dishes ourselves in big tubs, swim tests, buddy boards, hilarious counselors, square dancing, night hikes, flashlights, lightning bugs and mosquitoes by the bajillion.

Lee said...

..."I am a "C" and "It only take a spark to to get the fire going....." by the campfire....tickling the couselors nose with a feather after putting shaving cream in her hand.....jumping off the dock fully clothed...feeling homesick...

Barb said...

good ones, Lee! (-:

Though I cried because I had to go HOME after 2 weeks...I loved camp that much!

Rick Lawrenson said...

I won't recount many of my camp memories. They are scattered "as far as the east is from the west...".

Did you notice how skinny Andy was?

Misha said...

I've not seen this picture before. What a cutie! I love seeing pictures of Andy when he was a little boy, we met when he was a strapping 21 year old man.

Andy Lawrenson said...

Don't talk about a man with a ten gallon hat. Just ask Hoss Cartwright. Giddyup!

New Site is up and Running

My new web site which now hosts my blog posts is up and fully functional. You can check it out at andylawrenson.com . There is also a ...