Sunday, June 1, 2008

Overcommunicate

I guessed asked every now and then about our communication process.  How we communicate youth ministry events and activities to parents.  I've heard and learned that you have to over-communicate and have discovered that even then you still have some that miss out on what is going on.  

Here is what we do:
1.  Monthly Parent Newsletter with calendar included
2.  Weekly Update e-mail
3.  Reminder shot e-mails when needed
4.  Printed copy of newsletter available at the welcome center
5.  Our web site obxstudents.com on our web site is an events page
6.  Parent page on our web site
7.  Posters and also announcement slides on the big screen and lobby monitors.

I'm sure some get sick of all the info and just hit delete when they see the e-mail, I'm also sure that others are fastidious about keeping up with what is going on, I'm sure that some "read" but, like I do sometimes, don't absorb the info.

What we don't want to do is to fail to communicate.  If someone says, "I didn't know...."  it's not from lack of info.    Below is a sample of our weekly update:


1 comment:

Tracy said...

I chuckled when I read this, b/c my husband has a list of about 15 ways that he communicates with our parents, and they still say they don't know when events are!!

New Site is up and Running

My new web site which now hosts my blog posts is up and fully functional. You can check it out at andylawrenson.com . There is also a ...