Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Hide and Go Seed

This morning before coming to the office I thought I would take advantage of the warmer weather and spread some winter rye grass seed. We will see what happens with it. I'm sure my sandy soil isn't the most healthy for seed to grow. I also noticed a covey of dove on the high wire watching me I think they were talking to each other and I'm pretty sure I heard one of them say, "Free Lunch!".

Jesus talks about spreading seed in the parable of the sower. (Matthew 13) Some fell on rocky soil, some fell and the birds ate it up, some fell on thorny ground, some fell on good soil. For more on what the parable means check it out for yourself in Matthew 13:18.

I have a new one to add. Please don't freak out, I'm not adding to the Bible. I noticed this morning as I used my broadcast spreader that some fell in my socks. Now of course you won't find that in Matthew 13 because they didn't wear socks back in the day. The parable of the seed in the socks. Those seeds never made it to the ground, to the soil, as a matter of fact I think there are a few seeds still in my socks right now. There was a man that was sewing winter rye...

This is the meaning of the parable of the seed in the socks: The seed is the good news of how a relationship with Jesus Christ can radically change lives. The problem is often we as Christians, Christ followers, don't allow the seed to be planted. We don't share our faith, we keep it to ourselves. So that seed never has the opportunity to take root in the heart of our friends, neighbors and co-workers.

When I think of evangelistic efforts and events, such as Billy Graham crusades, etc., I wonder would those even be necessary if we as believers got the seeds out of our socks? Then the money we sink into big evangelistic budgets could be used to provide for someone in need or help bring water to a village in Africa. (which is also a way to spread the seed) I guess the point I'm thinking about today is that it doesn't take big budgets to reach the lost. We, the church, just need to be obedient, and that starts with me. What about you are you keeping your seeds in your socks?

No comments:

New Site is up and Running

My new web site which now hosts my blog posts is up and fully functional. You can check it out at andylawrenson.com . There is also a ...