Sunday, November 25, 2007

My Thanksgiving by Andy Lawrenson

Something amazing happened this past week. I literally gained 5 pounds. How is this possible? The answer is very simple: High food intake and low energy or exertion of any physical sort. (lots of eating and no exercise)

We went down to SC to spend some time with Misha's grandma, she is still kickin at age 95. We had a great time. Misha doesn't get to see her family often so I was glad we got to take this trip. Grandma's parents and oldest brother came to America through Ellis Isle on a ship from Hungary in the very early 1900's. Pretty cool! They were legal aliens. She had a cabin with a dirt floor! Why sweep?

We chilled at Misha's uncle and aunt's home during the day and stayed at a fantastic Embassy Suites at night. Ty was diggin the sofabed and the elevator. The hotel was very "swank" complete with glass roofed 9 story atrium, fish ponds and waterfalls in the atrium, cooked to order breakfast (hence the weight gain. can you say omelette), USA Today at my door each morning, two room suite, glass elevators. Nice, very nice, the total opposite of the Microtel I stayed at last weekend where I was afraid to walk on the carpet without my shoes on.

On the way home we stopped at our best man's home in SC and spent a few hours with him and his family. Ty had a blast playing with his 4 year old son. It occured to me Friday night, as I was getting ready to fall asleep, that Andrew and I became friends when we were twelve years old. It then dawned on me that our parents at that time were the age that Andrew and I are now. But they couldn't have been as cool as we are now. I'm getting old.

Andrew has a great dane named Bruce. Bruce is huge, he can rest his head on the door of a pick up truck or on the top of the kitchen counter. Bruce is a gentle giant, he, Ty and Andrew's youngest were curled up together on a bed (pictures to come). Bruce took a jog with Andrew and I, we were in a truck and clocked Bruce running a steady 34 miles an hour, good thing Bruce is a friendly beast.

We had a great visit with friends and family and I didn't check my e-mail for 5 days!
I came home to find out I had been elfed!

2 comments:

CFHusband said...

you can eat hotel thanksgiving with us next year...guaranteed not to gain any weight...

Andy Lawrenson said...

The hotel we stayed at had a huge thanksgiving feast complete with ice sculptures and at least 120 feet of tables with food.

New Site is up and Running

My new web site which now hosts my blog posts is up and fully functional. You can check it out at andylawrenson.com . There is also a ...