Sunday, November 11, 2007

Today's Message


What a great message we had at church today. The method should change but the message always stays the same. Top it off with someone trusting Jesus as their Savior, that's the icing on the cake. I guess that goes to prove that the gospel is not watered down at NHC. I've always wondered when I've heard that comment made about PD churches. I know we teach that salvation is through faith in Jesus Christ as Savior, I've never heard it watered down. The salvation today at church was (in my mind) a way of God putting his seal of approval on the message. We are doing what He has placed us here to do.

Methods changing. Methods changing. Methods changing. That phrase has been ringing through my mind tonight in the middle of reading text book material for school, playing with Ty, and eating leftovers.

I think we can relate this to the business world to help us better understand why it is important to change. Of course I'm talking the fast food business world.

Remember when McDonald's only sold burgers and the occasional fillet-o-fish? (I personally know no one who eats those fish sandwiches) Remember when Arby's only sold roast beef sandwiches? Remember when Wendy's only sold burgers and chili and baked potatoes? Remember when Hardees was Hardees and not two different chain names at one time? (how does that work anyways?) Remember when Burger King along with all the others didn't open until lunch time?

Now you go to these burger joints and you can get sandwiches on regular bread, in wraps, and chicken. Now they serve salads, yogurt, fat free junk. You can go to Hardees and get a South beach burger, no buns, the thing is wrapped in lettuce. Breakfast biscuits are the bomb diggity!

This didn't all happen at once. One of the chains, possibly McDonald's, started adding some different food options to the menu. Why? Times were changing and people wanted more options, some even wanted healthier options. Then once this started catching on other chains jumped on the bandwagon because they didn't want to get left behind. Time changed so their menus changed. Change was necessary to meet the growing and diverse desires of the public.

Still wondering if I'm on the right track with this correlation?

Remember Burger Chef? Didn't think so. Burger Chef was a chain that existed in the 70's and early 80's. Their burgers were delivered to you on your tray in a clear plastic bag wrapper. They were one of the first ones to have the ketchup station out in the dining area. But what happened to Burger Chef? They didn't change! The world changed and they stayed stuck in the 70's along with orange shag carpet (I hear it is making a comeback) and velvet paintings.

Great message Rick! I hope NHC always strive to be relevant. Don't want to be a Burger Chef!

5 comments:

Rick Lawrenson said...

That was actually very good. Not because of the compliment, either. You are capable of deep thought! Must be the seminary stuff.

My first memories of Burger Chef go back to the 60's in Hyattsville, MD. Loved those burgers with an orange soda! Any leftovers were passed to me.

Why can't we just go back to the good old days?

TerryKM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
TerryKM said...

**first post had far too many spelling errors; I need to get to bed**

Sarah and I just read your blog together and we both really enjoyed it. I thought that was a good correlation.

Sadly, when churches stop being relevant they don't just disappear like Burger Chef did (well a few do), but rather they seem to have a negative impact of the "Church" in general.

CFHusband said...

I don't remember any of those things you mentioned...I guess it's cause I'm not OLD like the rest of you guys...

Faith, Hope & Lovebugs said...

Good thoughts Andy. You impress me with your knowledge of the fast food industry as well :) I guess I am so use to change now, when I went back to a church I use to visit alot, and not much had changed (in 7 years) it felt a little weird. Like I was in the twilight zone. na Na na Naaaa

New Site is up and Running

My new web site which now hosts my blog posts is up and fully functional. You can check it out at andylawrenson.com . There is also a ...