Tuesday, November 13, 2007

More on Method

It appears each year that we dive into the holiday season even earlier than the year before. While I don't know that this is true, I haven't seen the data, it does appear to be so. Usually I don't drink my first eggnog until close to Christmas. This year is different, a lot different.

Now you can look at the history of eggnog if you are so inclined, but you will see that this is a drink that has been around for centuries. It's possible eggnog started in Europe and headed across the big pond to America. We do know that this was a popular drink among the colonist in Colonial America. They would often mix rum in with the eggnog to warm things up a bit on a cold winters day. Can you blame them? They didn't have heat pumps!

For centuries eggnog has been the same. No change. Sure there are different recipes but in the end the eggnog is just that eggnog. This year my life has been radically changed. My recent trip to Food Lion I discovered something amazing. Gingerbread Eggnog!! This stuff is incredbily, unbelievably fantastic.

Another fine example of change. While it is still egg nog it has been changed to reach a broader spectrum of consumers. It's still egg nog only more contemporary and culturally relevant.

Some churches are still using methods that are centuries old in an attempt to reach a new culture. Some churches are using new methods without changing the message to reach the new culture. If Nags Head Church were eggnog it would be gingerbread eggnog! Fantastic!

1 comment:

CFHusband said...

I hate that stuff...

I really miss the colonial custard from Bergey's Dairy...

New Site is up and Running

My new web site which now hosts my blog posts is up and fully functional. You can check it out at andylawrenson.com . There is also a ...