Thursday, April 2, 2009

Parenting

Proverbs is loaded with some great tid bits of wisdom for parenting and influencing children.  I know when I'm at Wal Mart and that kid who is spoiled is throwing a fit and the parents don't know what to do and so they give in as they always do after about 50 threats of punishment, these are the ones who could use a good reading in Proverbs.  We've all seen that child and often when we leave Wal Mart we know him or her by name even though we don't know the family.

I read these verses in my reading of Proverbs 29 on Sunday:

 Verse 15
The rod of correction imparts wisdom, 
 but a child left to himself disgraces his mother.

Verse 17
Discipline your son, and he will give you peace; 
he will bring delight to your soul.


I'm not a parenting expert and there are few who are.  I am glad that God gives us some guidance in the Bible as well as placing people in our lives to help us parent.   

At Nags Head Church families are a priority.  I'm excited that the Outer Banks Youth Ministry Network is bringing Herb Owen in to lead the Principles in Parenting Seminar.  Herb was my junior church pastor when I was in the 4th through 6th grades and had a huge influence on my life.  Herb and Marylin raised two great sons who are living successful Christian lives.  These are the types of parents I want to go to for wisdom in raising my kids.  I'm not a smart man but I have figured out that it is wise to learn from others.

The Principles in Parenting Seminar is for:
Expecting Parents (get a jump start)
Parents of children  (good to know how to mold their lives) 
Parents of teens  (what do we do when they rebel?)

No comments:

New Site is up and Running

My new web site which now hosts my blog posts is up and fully functional. You can check it out at andylawrenson.com . There is also a ...