Sunday, February 1, 2009

There are those moments in youth ministry. . .

Tonight was great from a youth pastor's point of view.  There are those moments in youth ministry that make a youth leader stop and say, "I'm right where God wants me."  I joined some students up on the balcony to hang out and eat pretzels with them.   I think there were 7 or so sitting up there.  Then the next thing I know they are praying together.  Come to find out they have been doing this every week for some time now.  They were gathering over by the door to the unfinished youth room but have moved to the comfy sofas.  Totally student initiated, totally student led.  I was blessed and humbled to get to join them in prayer tonight.

It's Super Bowl Sunday night.  For those of those who couldn't give a flip about football we really don't care.  For me half time show is better than the game.  Over half the students came to youth group tonight.  We had a great time hanging out during hang time, playing farkle, ping pong, Apples to Apples.  Several students wrote notes to soldiers in Iraq.  Lots of pretzels, chips, cookies were consumed.  Youth group Super Bowl parties drive me nuts because the majority don't watch the game.  We probably could have had a Super Bowl Party and not even showed the game and would have been just fine at least half probably wouldn't have noticed.
We had the largest group we have ever had on Super Bowl Sunday for youth group even without a party.  (we used to do youth group on Wednesday nights so this was the first Super Bowl Sunday for us to have youth group)

Our lesson was about faith tonight.  I'm pasting the outline below.  I also encouraged students to pick up a copy of The Case For Faith by Lee Strobel.

Ephesians 6:13-16

DEFENDING MY FAITH (What are fiery arrows?)

  • Fear
  • Lies
  • Temptation
  • Doubt
  • Confusion
  • Words

 DEFINING MY FAITH

 Belief - Accepting something as truth

Faith – Giving your life to what you believe

2 Corinthians 4:18

·       Faith requires action

James 2:17

  Romans 5:1-2

 Faith gives me . . .

·  PEACE

 CONFIDENCE

JOY

SECURITY

DEEPENING MY FAITH

If I’m investigating my faith, I should:

 Start small

Luke 17:6

 If I’m struggling with my faith, I should:

 Ask for help

If I’m sold out in my faith, I should:

Remember God’s faithfulness

1 Samuel 12:24

  

2 comments:

Rick Lawrenson said...

The great revivals in history started with spontaneous prayer meetings. That is so encouraging.

Please share it Wednesday night.

Michelle Jamie said...

our youth are also so in love with the Lord that its can be intimidating taking to them sometimes.

New Site is up and Running

My new web site which now hosts my blog posts is up and fully functional. You can check it out at andylawrenson.com . There is also a ...