Monday, September 15, 2008

Meeting because it's on the calendar

One thing that drove me nuts in my past church experiences is the whole idea of a "fall revival" or a "spring revival".  Some churches have both.  Don't get me wrong.  It is good to have some special times together as a church to focus on renewal and getting our hearts right with God. 

I remember as a child getting drug to a month long revival meeting.  Every night for a month we went to church.  I remember thinking that if someone would just hit me in the head with a hammer I would be better off.  The social aspect of the month long meetings was it's only saving value to me as a kid, I got to play with friends before and after the service.

The fact is most churches are calling a revival what is actually a series of evangelistic meetings, that is the problem.  This is when the crank up the potluck dinners, pack a pew night, a special night each for the children and for the youth (and the service is in no way geared towards either age group).  The church is encouraged to invite all their "lost" friends.  I guess I would be more comfortable if they called it something other than a revival.

You can't revive someone who has not been vived.

The other problem is the fact that most churches that hold these meeting do so twice a year.  They put it on the calendar and since it is there they do it.  Many times without even seeking God's will on the matter.  So the church finds another pastor from another church to come in and preach, a hired gun, or they bring back the evangelist that preaches so passionately.  When asked why they hold these revivals the answer is, "because we do every year."  Is that a good reason? 

You can't calendar revival.  Revival is a God thing. 

I got an e-mail from a church in our area; I somehow have ended up on their bulk e-mail list, reminding me that if I missed the revival to make sure I come tonight.  This is another problem; churches feel such a compelling to pack their auditoriums with people that they invite all the other believers in the area from other churches.  What about focusing on your church's spiritual health?  There are times when "family meetings" need to be just for family (pickin up what I'm layin down) Is this local church having revival?  Time will tell and the proof is in the pudding.

Spiritual health takes work and balance; a series of evangelistic meetings won't necessarily accomplish that purpose. 

Next month I will have been at NHC for 7 years.  In those 7 years we have not had one "revival" service, but I have seen revival in the hearts and lives of God's people.  I have seen a church that is striving to be spiritually healthy.  I have seen the church grow as believers turn back to God and as spiritual babies are born.  Have we had special times?  Yes.  Each time we do a 40 days period focused on spiritual growth, reaching the community or like the one we are in right now, prayer, our church grows healthier and numerically.  God blesses a group of people who have a desire to be spiritually healthy.  The goal of spiritual health will accomplish much more in the lives of believers and a community than a calendared event of 4 nights (what happened to the good old 7 day revival services?).

Focusing on spiritual health has a huge impact in the life of believers and doesn't happen overnight or in a 4-day series of service.

By the way the church I mentioned, the one where I was drug to the revival services for a month, no longer exists.  Apparently even calendaring a month of revival services didn't bring about spiritual health to that church.

Do I believe God can impact an individual's life in a "revival"?  Yes.  Do I believe that God can work in the life of a church in a "revival"?  Yes, God can do whatever God wants to do because he is God.  Have I ever seen this personally?  No.  Have I seen purposeful and intentional focus on building spiritual health in a church over a period of years make a difference and impact in the life of a church?  Yes, just come hang with us at NHC for a while and you will see.  Are we a perfect church?  No, because I'm a member of the church. 

8 comments:

Apple said...

Oddly enough, I was asking the same questions just last week. It's funny, the thing that I always remember/ed about revivals is that everybody is absolutely exhausted by the end of the week...which seems a little counterintuitive (big word), don'cha think?

Very good post.

marie said...

I think our 1st Weds will be our "revival."

Andy Lawrenson said...

@marie - That's what I'm talking about

Rick Lawrenson said...

If you do a study of the genuine periods of revival in church history you'll find that not only are they not calendar scheduled, but they typically began with an individual, group or church praying.

I've seen two such revivals in my lifetime. Both over 35 years ago. One swept a nation; the other a campus. They were quite amazing.

Our church's former bylaws actually mandated two "revivals" per year. I'd much rather be in a church where God-things and spiritual health are happening all the time, not just when the evangelist and quartet show up.

Andy Lawrenson said...

If we schedule a quartet you can pretty much guarantee I'll have the flu or something

amber said...

Something I always pray before leaving for church is that God have His way in the service. I think it’s so important for the pastor to be sensitive to what God may want to do instead of forging ahead with what’s planned. I’m proud to say that my pastor is that way and over the years there have been services where you can’t help but say, “What is going on?” God will be moving in people and it’s so cool to watch. I’m a youth leader and we just got back from camp a few weeks ago. For the forty days leading up to camp, everyone gave up something (a fast if you will), believing God to move in their lives and at camp. During those forty days, we had some of the most amazing services, none of it planned. I remember one night the band was playing “Did You Feel the Mountains Tremble?” and at one point, one of the guys pointed out that the song says, “Open the doors and let the music play.” We then opened all the doors in the room. We were loud but not for loud’s sake. It was just so amazing to see God moving. And then we actually left for camp! That first night was the absolute best. It was miserably hot and there was no air conditioning in the room but for two hours we worshipped God. My youth pastor said as soon as the band started playing, he knew he wasn’t going to get to preach that night; God had other plans. I think we sometimes try to fit God in a box. We act as though we know exactly what He’s thinking and can plan accordingly yet I’ve learned God doesn’t think the same way as I do. However, I can honestly say His plans are always better and when He decides to move, you might as well get ready!

Andy Lawrenson said...

@amber We had an amazing night at camp. All the youth pastors gather for prayer before the worship service and we pray around the auditorium.
I could tell that the service was going to be different. I even mentioned it to Bonnie, one of our youth leaders. The worship in music was incredible, Todd Agnew did an awesome job leading. Dave Edwards scrapped whateve he had planned to preach and did something totally different than planned.

I also think that God is working and when the pastor and worship leader are in tune with God that He starts putting the worship gathering together as He wants ahead of time. God knows what He is going to do before He does it and when we have "God things" happen at church during worship it is no surprise to God.

Attack of the Killer Blog... said...

I believe one day we will find that in revival, true revival, that it won't be convenient for our calendars. It should practically mess our lives and schedules up, that is if you're a little like me... I'm just glad God allowed mankind to invent DVR before real revival hits. I would hate to have to miss an episode of The Office and 30 Rock... And, of course, I'm kidding. Great post. You share my heart.

New Site is up and Running

My new web site which now hosts my blog posts is up and fully functional. You can check it out at andylawrenson.com . There is also a ...