Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Staying in the Loop

One of the best things I've learned over the past several years is that it is great to give ministry away.  Of course a few will think, "Yea, then you don't have to work!"  Come on let's be fair, everyone knows that youth pastors work two days a week.  We gotta pace ourselves!

Why give ministry away? (Several reasons I can think of)

1.  Others get off the bench and in the game

2.  It helps others to discover and use their SHAPE

3.  Everyone member is a minister (not just the paid guys)

4.  It builds the church up.

5.  Allows me to concentrate on what I'm good at.

Last night I met with three "coaches" from our church.  These coaches have stepped into leadership positions in ministry leading our children's, nursery and kiosk teams.  What these three coaches do used to be done by me.  The teams they coach have grown and are much more effective now that these coaches are in place partly because they are getting the attention they need from a coach who has a passion for their ministry.  Plus they are great at what they do.

The meeting was our first official meeting with all three together.  We will be doing this monthly as a "staff" meeting to keep me in the loop and up to speed on what is happening and what is needed.  Let me close by adding that these coaches aren't paid positions, these three are members of our church who have found their place in ministry.

What can you do to give ministry away?  What ministry are you serving in at your church?

2 comments:

Rick Lawrenson said...

What's the second day of your work week?

Andy Lawrenson said...

Monday of course.

New Site is up and Running

My new web site which now hosts my blog posts is up and fully functional. You can check it out at andylawrenson.com . There is also a ...