Thursday, December 4, 2008

The Big 3

I rarely dive into the political ring and debate. But when I see our government throwing money out the window I get very uncomfortable because somehow it will have a negative impact on my wallet and my son's future. We are giving money away that our kids will be paying for and if they keep shelling it out our grand kid's will be paying for.

The Big 3 apparently were taking a little drive to DC today in their economy cars. Nice try big boys but I think most Americans see past your publicity stunt. Your road trip did nothing to stimulate the economy. You should have taken a coach class commercial airline trip and pumped some money into the economy that way. Upon arriving in DC you could have caught a cab and again put money into the economy. Instead you choose to take a ride in a car you made and put $130 of gas into the car and that money for the most part is padding the wallet of someone living overseas. You did nothing to stimulate the economy.  And you only did this because of the outcry of citizens when you took your last trips in your private jets.

If a business owner operates a business poorly they go out of business. That's hard but it is a fact of life in our capitalist society. Why should the government bail out the auto makers when there are hundreds of other business going bankrupt or shutting their doors? Next will we bail out the airlines? Then what big business or industry after that?  I heard a lot about Main St. during the presidential campaign.  Apparently Main St. has been kicked to the curb.

Banks were bailed out and what have they done with the money? They have been sitting on it. Why don't the banks take that money and loan it to the auto industry? That would stimulate the economy but then again that would be a risk for the banks.  I don't see Toyota or Honda lining up looking for a hand out. Why? Because they are running their business better and smarter. 

Our government is in serious financial trouble because the government doesn't know how to do business.  I think our government are the last ones that should be making financial decisions.  The same politicians that are squawking about the money being spent in Iraq and the war on terror are the same ones wanting to dish money out to incompetent CEOs.  

 Here is my idea for stimulating the economy and helping the auto industry at the same time:
1.  Take those billions of dollars and instead of giving them to the auto industry give those bucks to citizens of the US that need a new car and then we (cause I need one, been driving on a blown engine for two years) could go and buy the new car.  This would put money into the pockets of the auto industry and help Americans.  

2.  Force the banks that are getting bailed out to make loans to people who qualify.  

3.  Give the money to the citizens instead of the big corporations, who obviously don't know how to handle money, and let the citizens pump that money back into the economy.

I guarantee if the US government gave me 25 grand I would buy a new car and if they gave me a stimulus check that I would put that money back into the economy.  Surely some politicians in DC have brains and will stand up and do the right thing.  Why are we letting attorneys turned politicians make financial decisions?  Why not find some people that understand business and the economy to make the decisions?

OK.  I have not vented for a while so I feel much better.  And if you took time to read this you amaze me.

Merry Christmas!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

no, you amaze me. you've only posted and vented what all the rest of us think.

Bonnie said...

be amazed...I read it all the way to the end.

marie said...

I Vote "Andy For Treasury Secretary!"
I read it all too. I can read stuff that makes sense.

Barb said...

One issue you left out was the auto industry UNIONS. If the big 3 are to be saved, the big boys need to have the guts to take a serious look at how much unions are costing ...

New Site is up and Running

My new web site which now hosts my blog posts is up and fully functional. You can check it out at andylawrenson.com . There is also a ...