Saturday, December 13, 2008

The Big But

Psalm 13
For the director of music. A psalm of David.
1 How long, O LORD ? Will you forget me forever?
How long will you hide your face from me?
2 How long must I wrestle with my thoughts 
 and every day have sorrow in my heart? How long will my enemy triumph over me?
3 Look on me and answer, O LORD my God. 
 Give light to my eyes, or I will sleep in death;
4 my enemy will say, "I have overcome him," 
 and my foes will rejoice when I fall.
5 But I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation.
6 I will sing to the LORD, for he has been good to me.

Ever have those times when everything is going wrong, when it seems like you are stuck in the middle of a storm and can’t see the end?
Do you have those days when it seems everyone is against you?
Does God every feel like he’s a million miles away?

I can’t stand those times. I get a  frustrated, stressed, freakin out when I’m in those places of life. But that’s life!  It’s not lived on the mountaintops; life is lived in the valley.

Who knows this better than King David? David lived life in the valley. Most of his life was a struggle. Kid stuck with watching the sheep while his brothers went on an adventure.  Stood alone before a giant because no one else had the guts or the faith.  Spears chucked at him by the king while playing his harp for the king. (That ought to make some worship leaders nervous) Was pursued by a jealous king who wanted to snuff David’s life out.  Struggled with sin, adultery, murder, and the pain of life that all of that mess with Bathsheba resulted in.  David knew what it meant to live life in the valley.

So when the tough storms of life come, when the world feels like it is squeezing in around you remember the big “But”.  Did you see it? 
Verse 5 and 6:
“But I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation.
I will sing to the LORD, for he has been good to me.”

Know your position – God loves you.
Check your attitude – Rejoice in salvation and sing to the Lord.

1 comment:

Colston said...

I love reading your post, so thanks for the thoughts...
I just wanted to say that alot of times when I feel that Im a million miles away from God I find myself trying to do everything on my own. I try to do get everything done on my to do list. I try and make sure everyone is happy and I spend all this time doing things that I dont stop and listen.
WHen I get frustrated my thoughts automatically go to quite time mode and it isnt long until I realize that Im trying to do everything on my own...
Thanks again for the post

New Site is up and Running

My new web site which now hosts my blog posts is up and fully functional. You can check it out at andylawrenson.com . There is also a ...