Saturday, July 12, 2008

Why Vacations are Soooo Good

You know today I think I have figured out the secret to why vacations are so fantastic.  I spent the better part of the day today cleaning our car top to bottom, washing it, vacuum, armor all, clean the windows, pick up the toys that were under seats, behind seats, on top of seats.  I bet I vacuumed up at least a box worth of Cheerios.  Checked the fluids.

Then I mowed the lawn and ran the weed eater and then used the blower to clean out the garage and driveway.  I bet there was at least a beach worth of sand in our garage and drive way.  I then cleaned the pool (don't be envious, it's one of those blue blow up pools, remember I'm a youth pastor, I can't afford a real pool).  I moved from the pool to the outdoor shower and gave the dog a bath.

Now all I have left to do is help my most beautiful wife clean the house.  Clean out the fridge.   Then I need to gather all of our travel documents (travel documents sounds a lot fancier than trip tiks from AAA), hotel reservations.  I also have to find two restaurants that I saw on the triple D on the food network.  Oh yes, I'll be doing some Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives.  Got to map all that out, load addresses into Maggie (my gps).  So of course when fuel is so expensive we plan a road trip vacation.  Then load the car with all of our gear.  Line up Rich to take care of the beast and the house while we are out of town (I know it's risky but Rich is getting to be such a big boy now).

I also have to line up the youth ministry team for youth group while I'm gone.  You know I have actually heard of youth groups canceling youth group gatherings while their underpaid, one-vacation -week-a-year youth pastor, takes his vacation.  Not happening at NHC!  We have the best youth ministry team on the face of planet earth and they keep things cranking while I'm gone.  I don't even think about it once I'm on the road.  They are pros and know what they are doing.  So if your church cancels youth stuffs when the YP is on vacation it's time for you to help him build a youth ministry team.  You will keep your YP longer and make your youth ministry stronger.  There I worked in a youth ministry tip.

All of this work is what makes the vacation so sweet.  All the prep work is what makes the vacation fantastic.  You knock yourself out getting ready for the vacation so when you pull out of the driveway there is a huge sense of relief.  Of course if you don't do all the prep work do you really need a vacation?

Because I know the question will come up, we are going to visit family and hit a sweet zoo.  Oh, and of course some triple D diners along the way.

1 comment:

BarBQ Mom said...

I had to laugh about your plan to visit some Diners, Drive Ins and Dives. We just returned from our vacation during which we hit 2 triple D diners and one Tasty Travels restaurant. I think my husband is going to start planning all our vacations around Food Network eating places. His favorite is DDD.

New Site is up and Running

My new web site which now hosts my blog posts is up and fully functional. You can check it out at andylawrenson.com . There is also a ...