Friday, July 18, 2008

Beacon Drive In


Today we had a short drive and along the way we made a stop at Beacon Drive In.  The Beacon was featured on Diners Drive-Ins and Dives on the food network.  We got their at about 1 and the place was slammin, lined up out the door.  Literally while we were there hundreds went through the line.  When you approach the counter there is  man there that takes your order and then hollers it out in their own lingo.  Hundreds of orders but not one of them written down.  

Basic diner food, not real healthy and not incredible as far as taste goes, but the show was incredible.  The Beacon sells more iced tea in the USA than anyone else.  It was very, very, very good ice tea.  They had ice buckets in the restaurant and then you fill your cup up and they have tea dispensers all over to get your refill.  

I had the chili cheeseburger and then piled on top was a mountain of fries topped with a mountain of onion rings.  I shared the rings and the fries but not my chili cheeseburger.  This stop was a highlight of my vacation.

Behold the Chili Cheeseburger A-Plenty



It's a Peach!

10 comments:

Apple said...

I saw that episode! Awesome!

ladybug said...

so are the pictures taken with the new digital?

Andy Lawrenson said...

@ladybug - Yes indeed

Katie Lamont said...

Is that the peach in Gafney SC?

I passed that both ways every time from school!

Barb said...

I think I've seen that peach, too...in my travels long ago...but can't remember where. Maybe Katie will get a prize for knowing its location!?

Becky Bowen said...

I clicked on the pic to confirm that it is in Gaffney. Always struck me as odd since Georgia is The Peach State. Sounds like the fam is having fun on the trip. Enjoying the posts as always.

Andy Lawrenson said...

The peach is HUGE man!

ZazFamily said...

i gained weight just reading about the food!!what happened to weight watchers?

Andy Lawrenson said...

zazfamily - vacation means vacation from everything. Although last night I did have a nice salad for dinner.

Joy said...

I'm actually from the area around the Beacon so its cool that someone who isnt a local gave it a pretty cool review! We live in Ohio now but are headed to SC for a reunion soon! Thanks for reminding me about the Beacon! Will have to stop and have a bite soon!! :)

New Site is up and Running

My new web site which now hosts my blog posts is up and fully functional. You can check it out at andylawrenson.com . There is also a ...