Monday, January 26, 2009

Contagious Last Night

Last night was much fun.  Of course I'm not getting much sleep right now due to the sleep schedule of the twinkies but I had a whole lot of coffee yesterday which may have affected my approach and delivery. ;)

Students did much hanging out, playing Skip BO, ping pong, chillin on the balcony.  Adult leaders were mingling and building relationships with students.  A couple of guests last night and a couple of return guests which is really good.   

We talked about peace last night.  Here is the outline:

A PICTURE OF PEACE

 Peace with God

. . . by him [Jesus] God reconciled everything to himself. He [God] made peace with everything in heaven and on earth by means of his blood on the cross (Colossians 1:20).

Peace with others

Do your part to live in peace with everyone (Romans 12:18).

Live in harmony and peace. Then the God of love and peace will be with you

(2 Corinthians 13:11).

Peace with self

. . . if the Holy Spirit controls your mind, there is life and peace (Romans 8:6).

[Jesus said] "I am leaving you with a gift—peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give isn't like the peace the world gives. So don't be troubled or afraid” (John 14:27).

 PROBLEMS WITHOUT PEACE

 Enemies of Peace:

·       Worry

·       Control

·       Purchase

·       Procrastinate

 A SPIRITUAL “FIX”

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. If you do this, you will experience God's peace, which is far more wonderful than the human mind can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus. And now, dear brothers and sisters, let me say one more thing as I close this letter. Fix your thoughts on what is true and honorable and right. Think about things that are pure and lovely and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise. Keep putting into practice all you learned from me and heard from me and saw me doing, and the God of peace will be with you (Philippians 4:6-9).

 Filter the NOISE (verse 8)

Investigate for TRUTH (verse 9)

X-out the ENEMIES of peace (verses 6-7)

Therefore, since we have been made right in God's sight by faith, we have peace with God because of what Jesus Christ our Lord has done for us (Romans 5:1).

[Jesus]"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me, and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me, and you'll learn to live freely and lightly (Matthew 11:28-30).

This lesson is part of a series, All Out War, from Simply Youth Ministry.  To check it out simply click on the box on the top of my sidebar for this series and many more great resources for youth ministry in your church.  Simply's series come with everything you need to teach including promotional materials and Powerpoint materials.

 



4 comments:

Rick Lawrenson said...

I just want to know if you cried.

Andy Lawrenson said...

No crying last night. Probably will cry this coming Sunday.

Rick Lawrenson said...

If it wasn't for the Super Bowl I'd come to watch.

Andy Lawrenson said...

The super bowl is just a game that means nothing. Youth ministry is a life changing calling.

New Site is up and Running

My new web site which now hosts my blog posts is up and fully functional. You can check it out at andylawrenson.com . There is also a ...