Sunday, March 2, 2008

Ladies and Gentleman

The ADD Youth Pastor is not a place for debate, especially one with cruel comments aimed to hurt some one's feelings.  My feelings aren't hurt, I'm pretty thick skinned.  

I welcome your comments and personal opinions if shared with the right attitude, a friendly one.

Some people have used my blog as a back door to make jabs at someone else.  I don't approve of that and won't put up with that, especially when done anonymously.

The original purpose of this blog is to share thoughts from my mind about my life and about youth ministry and parenting.  

I have now had to turn off the anonymous comments because of a few hateful remarks made by a very few people.  For those that have commented anonymously and have been kind in your comments I say, "thanks".  I'm sorry but you will now need to sign up because of the mean spirited comments of other.  

It amazes me to think that there are people who enjoy surfing through blogs leaving mean comments to people they don't even know.

There was a time in my life that I would have enjoyed arguing with someone.   There was a time in my life when I would have enjoyed just ripping someone apart verbally.  There was a time in my life when I would have enjoyed being just as mean back at someone who was mean to me. Those times are over for me.
#1 - Jesus is my Lord and Savior so I will be obedient to him when he says, "Love your enemies."  That is the choice I make because love is a choice and not a feeling.
#2 - I don't want to waste anymore time in my life dealing with hurtful, mean spirited or cruel people.  I'm the add youth pastor and I like to have fun.

Thanks, and I would encourage those of you that are legitimate friendly posters to sign up with a google account.

Rick, look out!  They hit Nate, they hit me, I guess you are next.

If you haven't already please take the time to read my posting below.

18 comments:

Emily said...

That's so disappointing. I shouldn't be surprised, given we're all sinful, but it is a wake up call when people are blatantly cruel to others they don't even know. I've had anonymous comments on my own blog from people who are out to do nothing but hurt others.

CJolly said...

It's interesting how the anonymity of the internet provides a kind of "darkness" that offers cover for those who want to take verbal shots at you without being "seen".

Like Nate, (Rick too!) you must be doing something right! And as was so well pointed out this morning, that will get the attention of the enemy! Keep your armor on!

Rick Lawrenson said...

This ain't wrasslin'.

islandgirlart said...

Hey Andy,
Fortunately (for me) I didn't read any of the comments.
Recently, I've read articles, seen shows re: Internet Bullying. It's a real issue for our children. It's even worse than face-to-face bullying because folks are even crueler on the internet because of the anonymity. I was talking to our school counselor about it.
So, if you're not aware of it - you might want to do some research in case in comes up with your young people!
I caught a PBS Frontline show on Technology and Young People - very informative (the good, the bad and the ugly)
cindy w./obx

Terry Gray Sr. said...

Andy, it is truely a shame this type of thing has to happen, I have found, through Nate's blog a deeper appreciation of life. I have seen a different view of Rick and his journey and compassion for salvation through his blog. Your Blog has shared a reverent side of being silly. I think that sometimes people are jealous of the things in life that are pure, decent and not tainted with the ills of the world. I think we need to offer them up in prayer and then do it again.
I feel that Chris says the smart thing, "keep the armor on". Press forward.

I for one think you doing something right also.

Andy Lawrenson said...

Cindy -

I too have seen the reports. There was that one girl who committed suicide as a result of internet bullying. The shame of that case was the bullying was coming from a neighbor's mom.

More is caught than taught and I think after seeing a few comments that perhaps our children are catching online meanness from the adults in their lives.

CFHusband said...

having played and reffed and coached little league sports, I can assure you that I know exactly from whom the kids are learning to be mean...

Matt Millard said...

Very sad. I am sorry it has come to this. I am very thankful however it isn't swaying you in not blogging anymore because I have to say that I get alot out of your blog.

Sarah

Faith, Hope & Lovebugs said...

I'll try to be nice ;)

Andy Lawrenson said...

Tricia,

You better be nice!

Nice to have you drop by. Did you check out the blog party?

Bonnie said...

my dad used to say a little rhyme to me....(I don't think I spelled rhyme right, but I frankly, don't care)
It went...
Make the words
you speak today
tender warm and sweet
For tomorrow
they may be
the words you have to eat.

CFHusband said...

a grade school teacher who doesn't care about spelling...where were you 18 years ago?

Terry Gray Sr. said...

Andy.....Road down south is suppose to open on Wed. at 5pm.......hhhmmmmm time for a road trip?

Andy Lawrenson said...

Terry,

Has the road to Hatteras been closed?

Rick Lawrenson said...

Terry,
As you can tell, he doesn't get out much.

Terry Gray Sr. said...

Andy,
Yes, the road to Ocracoke has been closed for quite some time, restricting visits to 4wd vehicles only, from the Hatteras side. I thought for a moment that this might interest you, but as so neatly put by Rick, I guess you really don't get out much. Or is it that they don't let you out?

Either way, they are suppose to open the road on Wed. @5pm, or at least that is the last I heard.

Andy Lawrenson said...

I do subscribe to the online version of the sentinel but it is so user un-friendly I don't read it much.

Bonnie said...

I care about spellnig, just not at 10PM....at that point, I'm just interested in getting my point across:)

New Site is up and Running

My new web site which now hosts my blog posts is up and fully functional. You can check it out at andylawrenson.com . There is also a ...