Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Team Player

What does a team player look like?

  • Punctual – Team players know that timing affects the whole team and has an impact on the effort
  • Respectful – Team players know that others on the team are counting on the team player to be in their place and doing their part so the rest of the team isn’t waiting.
  • Attitude – “It’s not about me.”  The team player realizes that there is a bigger picture and that life is not about them.
  • Encourager – Team players encourage others on the team and build them up.
  • Humble – Team players put other’s needs ahead of their own needs.
  • Sacrifices – Team players will do whatever is necessary to see the team succeed.
  • Excel – Team players go beyond their “job” or “position” and do what needs to be done, even when it doesn’t fit their schedule or “opinion” of what they are supposed to be doing.
  • Recruit – Team players look for others who will fit on the team.
  • Banks – Team players bank on their strengths and look to improve their weaknesses.
  • Communicates – Team players realize the importance of communication to their task.
  • Values – Team players value the team’s expectations and values of the organization.

 This is the description of a team player that flowed out of my thoughts.  How does this apply to your job?  Your ministry?  Your family?

Any additions that you can think of to add to this description?

6 comments:

jamie said...

Hey Andy,
I kept checking Nate's blog for the promised Meka poem. Just found it. I say this in the nicest possible way....

Don't give up your day job! ;)

God Bless
Jamie in Texas

Andy Lawrenson said...

I knew the poem would bring tears to reader's eyes. :)

CFHusband said...

I thought the poem rocked. Better than any Meka poem I've ever written...

CJolly said...

This post sounds like a description of the Milepost 13 Band! Were you taking notes when I was talking Sunday night? :)

Andy Lawrenson said...

cj - I wasn't taking notes but you are right!

00 said...

The first thing that popped into my head after reading this was that there are only probably a handful of professional athletes worldwide that are actually team players. How sad is that?

New Site is up and Running

My new web site which now hosts my blog posts is up and fully functional. You can check it out at andylawrenson.com . There is also a ...