Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Growth Numerically

At The Call in February there were a few items brought up at our youth leader round table discussion that we never got around to.  I said I would blog about them.  Now I’m finally getting around to it.  (Only 2 months later)

The question came up, “How do we grow in numbers?”  (Great question and one that can’t be totally answered in this blog) There are too many variables to consider to be able to say “here is how you grow in numbers.”   If you live in a small town 15 may be a huge youth group.  If you live in a major city 500 may be small.   People have written books on the subject.

When I’m asked how many students we have in our youth ministry (it’s a bit irritating) I respond with “not enough”.  There is always one more student that needs to know Jesus Christ.

Here are a few of my thoughts:

>numbers doesn’t necessarily equal “health”

>a healthy ministry will grow

>numbers aren’t an accurate way to judge success

>make sure the youth gathering is fun and not lame

>make sure your teaching is relevant to where they are today

>don’t sugar coat things, give them the truth

>staff your volunteers ahead of the growth

>ask your self “Why?” often.  Why are we doing this event?

>don’t fill a calendar just to have activities.  Students need more than an activity director.

>love the students and build a relationship with them.

>show an interest in their lives

>show students how important it is for them to reach their peers

>don't play the comparison game, you'll lose every time

>clowns are scary and should never be used at a youth gathering

Next week:  Growth Spiritually

5 comments:

elj377 said...

I agree with everything you wrote except the clown thing...I was a clown and I wasn't scary! Though that was a very long time ago!

CFHusband said...

Good post...I agree with the clown thing...Gwyneth has clowns in the hall going to her nursery. I only visited her twice today because of those clowns...freaky.

Lee said...

Seems like it should all be common sense, huh! I agree....numbers don't necessarily equate to a healthy group. And I love your attitude that no matter how many you have in your particular youth group, there are always kids that need to be reached.

Clowns are very scary. Especially the ones with the sad faces that have the painted on tear drop yet they smile at you. Creeeeepy.

Melissa Dovel said...

Andy,

I have been to visit your blog several times and was linked from Nate's. So here goes this absrd cry for help. I am a married woman with 3 kids a sick husband and we have all been beaten badly spirtually and WE (excluding my husband) JUST like easter sunday just found a great church. I need some anon. counceling. ARE U or are U and your wife either way interested. or feel tht you can help. I know that your family has a lot going on with Nate, and tricia and gwyenth. If your answe is sorry but no its ok I need help b 4 i lead 3 kids (1 entering yourht this year) a stray and not to mention a marriage that is near distruction. I love the Lord with all my heart and am willing to be truthfull with someone who can help. I would love to communicate via email you can comment back on my blog letting me know if your able and intersted. I know that I am worthy to rise above and I am at this point beaten down and running on empty.

Thanks
Melissa

Melissa Dovel said...

btw the reason for NOT wanting to go to the new church for help is "I know my husband" and he would shut down and LEAVE if I opened up 1/2 of what needs to be said and opened.

Again, Thanks for considering
M. Dovel

New Site is up and Running

My new web site which now hosts my blog posts is up and fully functional. You can check it out at andylawrenson.com . There is also a ...